General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda sounds like a moped, HAHA!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Default Honda sounds like a moped, HAHA!

(94 Accord EX) Well I was having other issues besides the A/C. I have a IAC Valve code. I went to get another from the junk yard cleaned it up real good and replaced the old one, nothing. But while doing this I had taken the whole throttle body appart to clean it as well. Im thinking that when I didnt this (i didnt change the gaskets) and I put it back together Im not getting a good seal and its taking in to much air. Is or can this be the issue? Is a bad seal making it run poorly? It has a very harsh idle around 4-500 and if the A/C is on (trying to get that fixed) the idle drops to nothing it looks like on the gauge.

Last edited by sumpump_1203; 06-02-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure that your sensors are plugged in properly and are snapped into the electrical connector.

Remove the radio/backup fuse in the engine bay fuse box for a minute. It is a 7.5 amp fuse. Start the car and let it warm up to operating temperature (when the fans turn on). This is done so the ECU can relearn the idle.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:15 PM

I have the IAC unplugged cause when it is plugged in the car has a really bad hunting/chugging issue and reves +500. I have it unplugged and it does chug but not nearly as bad as if it is plugged in. Im not to sure if this is the same issue as what is going on though. See I have had the IAC unplugged for a few weeks and really the only time it gave me issues was while starting out. While first giving it gas it out jerk but if I pressed a little harder giving more gas then usual it wouldnt chug. See with this issue it dont matter how much gas you give it it sounds like a moped. Now it doesnt jerk but has a moped sound and I think I have heard it try to back fire once or twice.

Last edited by sumpump_1203; 06-01-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

You said that you replaced the IAC with one from a junkyard.

So plug in all the sensors. Reset the ECU. Start the car and see what happens.

Whenever I clean my IAC and throttle body, the car does not idle properly until I reset the ECU.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 PM

I did that after I replaced it. Pulled the fuse, diconnected the neg on the battery nothing it still kept doing it. That is another reason Im thinking it might be a bad gasket. Could a bad gasket be the reason for it?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

The paper gasket between the throttle body and intake can definitely cause idle problems and is a cheap part to throw at the car. If you didn't tear the gasket, then it should be ok IMO.

I was thinking about your post. Did you loose coolant when you changed the parts? Air would definitely enter into the system.

When the engine is cold, remove radiator cap. Loosen the bleeder bolt on top of the thermostat housing with a 12mm deep socket. Add coolant to the radiator. Close that valve when air stops spitting out and a steady stream of coolant comes out of there. Top off radiator. Plug in IAC. Reset ECU. Start the car and see what happens.

If the check engine light returns, then you probably need to diagnose the wiring of the IAC.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

What year, what engine? Don't make us search for your older posts.

Prior to 1998, there's also a FIT valve. And AIC valves don't interchange between old/new versions (different wiring).

Older than 2003?? If so, after you reset the ECU, you should start & let it warm up without touching the throttle, so it re-learns the idle-control behavior.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:31 PM

1994 Honda Accord EX
F22b1

Alright so I went out and tried to bleed the radiator but it didnt seems to bleed right. Im not sure what the issue was but I opened the valve and it started to spit then just stopped. It stopped and nothing came out. I spent about 2 or three minutes tapping it with the handle of a hammer but still couldnt get anything out of it.

Last edited by sumpump_1203; 06-02-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

If you park downhill, the radiator cap is lower than the bleeder valve. You may have to play with both the bleed valve and the rad-cap to work all the air out. Or close the radiator cap, open the bleeder, & squeeze hoses.

When it's cold (not pressurized) you can squeeze the radiator hoses & listen for sloshing noises. If there's no air, there's no sloshing.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:26 PM

to bad its all flat land around here, lol. I guess I could stand the rear up and do it that way. Thanks. As far as resetting the ECU do I need to run the car without the fuse and put it back in while the car is running or how do I go about that? Cause I have tried it before and just pulled it while the car was off left it out for a little bit and replaced it.

Quick Reply: Honda sounds like a moped, HAHA!