General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda sounds like a moped, HAHA!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Don't NEED to park downhill, I was guessing that might have been the reason why antifreeze didn't keep squirting out the bleeder. Maybe lifting one end or the other will help work the air out?? I didn't have to do that to my '98, but I never owned a '94.

Maybe (hate to suggest bad news) it quit flowing because a piece of crud plugged up the bleeder? You could just REMOVE the bleeder to check that, but then you'll waste a little more antifreeze.

Reset the ECU by pulling the fuse (or the battery cables) while it's NOT running. Let it cool down. Then start & idle & warm up without touching the gas.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:54 AM

Yeah, this isnt going to work. Thanks for the advice though. I pulled the fuse and let it warm up but I noticed a leak in a radiator housing, at the throttle body, so maybe that is where air is getting in. NOt only that but my fans are not turning on after the car is started. I have heard them run after I drive it but if its sitting there theay wont come on unless I turn them on.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Under the TB, #14 is called a Fast-Idle Thermo valve (FITV). It's job is fast-idle when the engine's cold. Is that your leak?

------------------------------
The one fan switch #17 below is responsible for switching the fans while the key is turned on. Do they run when you jumper that wire?
The other fan switch #18 (at upper radiator hose) is responsible for switching ONE of the fans after you turn OFF the car. It has a different setpoint than the #17 switch.

How hot does it get? The fan doesn't run very often, only when stuck in traffic with no natural air flow.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 AM

Alright you see that hose connection below #4 and 6? That faces towards the front and that is the location of the leak. I tried to put some sealant on it but its still leaking. Might have to go and put it on a little heavier.

The fans if I jump the relay under the hood. While driving Im sure they run while in trafic cause it hasnt been trying to over heat like it use to. Other then that the ony time I can tell they are running is if I drive somewhere and shut the car off. When I shut the car off they turn on. Now the car isnt entirely shut of I just stop the motor from from runing and leave the key in the second position. If I havent driven anywhere and Im just sitting there they dont come on.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like your fans are now running correctly. Key in 2nd position means what? Radio works but engine idiot-lights are OFF?
0 = nothing
1 = accessories like radio
2 = ON with the CEL, oil light, etc.
3 = STARTER

Pull that hose off the FITV. Maybe the little hose nipple is buggered up, but also could be a bad HOSE. Get a new hose. Also check to see if maybe the REAL leak is the gasket between the FITV & the throttlebody?

Last edited by JimBlake; 06-04-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:23 AM

I can see the drip from the part so its nothing to do with the FITV @ TB. Also, was it you that said to take the fuse out till the fans run and let it relearn the idle? Well that is the issue if I take the fuse out and let it run the fans arent going to come on. They dont come on until I drive the car somewhere.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Wait, something's confused. Here's what you do...

1) Reset the ECU. Do that by disconnecting the battery for a minute. An alternative (some years) there's a particular fuse you can remove (while the car is turned OFF) to avoid erasing all your radio stations & clock, etc. Then put the fuse or battery cables back on.

2) Start the car without touching the gas pedal. Let it warm up completely without touching the gas. Since the car isn't moving, the fans should eventually come on, telling you that it's completely warmed up.

This forces the ECU to re-learn the behavior of the idle-control system. Especially if it has learned bad habits resulting from mis-adjusted or flaky parts.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:44 PM

Yeah, Ill try again but I tried to just sit there before and wait for the fans to come on and they never did. sat there for like 5 minutes. Ill try it again.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Watch the temperature gauge in the car. Once it reaches normal operating temperature (between 1/3 to 1/4 on the gauge), then the fans should come on.

Does your temperature gauge doesn't indicate that it is overheating?

Old 06-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Normal operating (driving down the road) my gauges always stay at about 1/3. My fans generally didn't come on until the gauge read more like 1/2 or a bit higher.

I've done the idle-re-learn procedure during winter, fans never came on, I quit after about 15 minutes. It was successful anyway.

Quick Reply: Honda sounds like a moped, HAHA!