General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove the Cruise Control Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Arrow How do I remove the Cruise Control Switch?

Hey guys,

I hope one of you can help me with this one. My son just bought a 96 Accord EX as his first car and I'm we've made it a father-son project. We've managed to fix and repair several items but now we've run into a problem.

We are trying to replace the clock spring and I know that I need to remove the air bag but I can't get to the torx bolt on the right side of the column because of the cruise control switch. How in blazes do you get to the two screws that hold in place?

I've done an exhaustive search and have had no luck finding out the trick.

PLEASE HELP!!

Old 01-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

You just push it out from behind. Think you should be able to reach it from underneath.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

The cruise control switch is removed by first carefully prying the cruise control switch cover off, then removing two screws.

The info. for that and replacing the clock spring is available in the downloadable service manual in the DIY and info. link located above in this forum. The 94 Accord service manual is a more complete manual than the 96 Accord supplement.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 PM

Thanks guys. I tried pulling the cover off but when it didn't come right off I started to doubt myself. I was afraid that I was going to brake it. I'll give it another shot and report back to you.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 AM
Thumbs up

UPDATE: My son and I finally got to work on his car last night and, thanks to your help, was successful in removing the cover to the cruise control allowing us to proceed with the change-out of the clock spring.

The easiest way we found to release the "catches" was to use a small pick that had a twist on the end. I slid it along the edge of the cover, forward, until I reached the covers corner closes to the buttons then simply twisted the tool to pop the catch.

Thanks again for your help. I'm sure I'll be asking several more questions before the project is over.