General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove sockets from ECU connector - 2000 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Default How do you remove sockets from ECU connector - 2000 Accord

I'm doing an engine swap and have a really nice harness with the donor engine, except when the yard removed it, one of the connector backshells was broken... SO my preference is to swap over the backshell from my removed engine and put that in its place...

I've done this with many, many backshells over the years, with work and cars, motorcycles, etc...

This backshell setup is the three connectors to the ECU in the passenger footwell and the backshell has a white piece in it that appears to release the sockets safely from the backshell when you push up on it with a small screwdriver, and not from the side where the pin in the ECU would go into the socket in the backshell.

It appears this way from the cutaway on the damaged one, but when I try it , and I pull on the wire, the crimped to the wire socket (female piece of the connection) does not come out of the backshell...

Any suggestions? I have done a bunch of searches.

My options are:

- figure this out - preferred

Less preferred:
- switch out harness - not preferred because this one is nicer of the two
- splice the connectors with solder and shrink tubing... - there are about 20 connections... not preferred
- trim the damaged backshell and simply push the exposed female sockets on the pins - not preferred...

Thanks.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a Honda TSB with terminal replacement procedures.

members.shaw.ca/FifthGenTSB1/00-099.Terminal%20Replacement.pdf

Old 01-31-2011, 12:06 PM

Awesome, thanks a bunch. I also found the following when doing a little more Internet searching and found exactly what I was looking for:

http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/...in_removal.jpg

However, instead of tearing up the top of the white plastic by pulling it up, you can simply use a small screwdriver and push it up from the bottom...
So, I'll try it tonight...

Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 PM

Redbull - the TSB does not cover these connectors.

The following is the right connector:
And I did try the other night in a freezing cold garage. Now, I have been removing pin's/sockets from automotive and military connectors for years...

But...

For the life of me, could not get them out. I'll be trying again, and think I might have it, but ask:

Has anyone removed these? I've done internet searches and find very little on these connectors, except for the above and that website does not look like anyone is there - old updates...