General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How easy should it be to turn the front wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Fasteddy_98
Unregistered
Default How easy should it be to turn the front wheels?

Hello again, same guy that's posted twice before about my gas mileage dropping from 360/tank to 260/tank. I've done all of the things recommended before - thanks for all the responses - and still have low mileage. I took someone's advice from here and put my car on jack stands. Putting the car in neutral, I tried to turn the front wheels. Very tough! I could move them but it took a significant amount of effort. Is that normal? No brakes either. Is it possible when my tire shredded at 85 mph it damaged the internals? Thanks in advance for the responses.

2005 Accord V6 EX

Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: How easy should it be to turn the front wheels?

Definitely possible!!! Gotta get that checked out!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: How easy should it be to turn the front wheels?

Swing the brake caliper out & remove brake pads. That will tell you if its dragging brakes vs. bad wheel bearings.

Put the tranny in neutral, but keep in mind you still have to turn the axles & part of the differential. You can feel the momentum of those, & there is some drag from the axle seals in the tranny.

Its been awhile, so I suspect dragging brakes.I expect abad wheel bearing would get worse & might have destroyed itself by now.

You may need to file the brake pads (their steel backing plates) so they dont wedge stuck into the caliper brackets? Or maybe the caliper slide pins are seized?