General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to locate the source of a drivers side oil leak.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Default How to locate the source of a drivers side oil leak.

How to locate the source of a drivers side oil leak? Its leaking pretty good about a quart every two weeks.

So whats the method to locate a leak?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Default 1993 Honda clunk noise of drivers side

When I corner or hit railroad tracks there is a distinct clunking kind of noise coming from anywhere from the middle to the rear of the drivers side of the car. What should I look for?

Just starting body repair on the rear of both sides.. Removed the bumper cover etc..

Old 09-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

For the oil leak, you can clean it real good and then drive for a while and look around for fresh oil. There is UV dye that can be added to the oil to help find it as well.

"Clunk" while turning can/could be a lot of things. Suspension, steering, brakes. While looking for the source of the oil, also look over everything on the suspension (more likly the source). Push, pull, look for loose bolts on the different components. The strut mount should be check as well.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First check out the valve cover gasket to be sure it's not leaking from that easily repaired item. Clean all around base of valve cover, drive and inspect.

Leak could be a damaged or loose balance shaft seal. There is a TSB to install a retainer on the forward camshaft seal to prevent expulsion from engine internal pressure. You may be able to see the forward balance shaft seal by pulling the upper timing belt cover and looking w/ light downward. Check camshaft seal also when upper timing belt cover is removed.

Another possibility is very bad oil pump/balance shaft drive gear cover oring seal. This seal leaks w/ age, and a qt/2wks seems possible. Only way to see this spot is to remove entire timing belt cover. If tiiming belts are due any time soon, this would be a good opportunity to catch that job while investigating. I replaced this oring on both my 90Ex (no longer mine) and my 94EX. Both were leaking but not anywhere near your rate.

One final leak possibility is the oil pan. Clean and check carefully after driving.

Clunk could be anti-sway bar bushings. They will slip, and jump when turning and cause a distinct clunk sound. They are a wear item and easily replaced. Look where A/S bar joints lower arm for loose/worn rubber grommets.

good luck

Old 09-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

And don't forget the rear main seal, but on a 4 cyl that is more to the pass/right side. As you can see there many places to look at for the oil leak. Let us know what you find on both issues.

THANKS for the help Texas.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to try the UV stuff. I have cleaned the motor to try and find the leak but never seem to figure it out. It splaters around too much from the daily commute.
>> anti-sway bar bushings.
This sound possible.

I have one last question.. If I find the oil leak is coming from the camshaft area etc would you suggest to rip the hood and the fender off to get enough room to actually
fix it. The engine area seems very tight (coming from a guy who last worked on cars in the 70's. This thing runs real well but I just GOT to get it to stop leaking oil or my wife will shoot me.

Thanks..

Old 09-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Access to balance shaft and oil pump cover seals follows timing belt repair procedure which requires removal of timing belt covers. Note, you will need to remove the balance shaft and timing belt to access, hence the suggestion about replacing timing belt and any other older hardware; tensioner and water pump.

Suggest download of a online manual for years 90-93 from links on this site. I think it's a 91 manual.

good luck

Old 09-18-2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks,
This car will be kind of a rebuild.. The engine is really strong but the body/suspension and oil leak all need attending. In Chicago weather is always a factor and today I got rained on.. Arghh.. I bought the Hayes repair manual for the car and find its not that great. Missing steps like when I was removing the bumper cover they did not mention removing the part below the tail lights. Found 2 bolts under each part. Nor did it tell me how to get those fasteners off., I used a sharp chisel and cut em off.
And for my enjoyment I think I found another problem. I think the lens on the passenger side rear right is leaking water into the trunk. I noticed a wet spot in the middle before but could not figure it out. I think the lenses leaks then the water runs down to the middle through the carpet.
Thanks for all the replies. The next couple of weeks should be interesting.
I am even going to try and repaint it myself..

Last edited by ChicagoBob123; 09-18-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Default Start at top work down

Don't do much anymore except change oil but always hear the same thing " start at the top and work your way down " just a possibility but could be running from the passenger to the drivers area. When timing belt and water pump were replaced had every seal around that area replaced and oil consumptiona is very low, the only one left is the rear main seal and it's to pricey to get fixed and besides its only about a quart every five to six thousand miles so far anyway, knock on wood.Good luck.

Last edited by landlover; 09-19-2010 at 06:49 PM.