General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long is the motor good for

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:56 PM
62vdubman
Unregistered
Default How long is the motor good for

OK, IM looking to buy a 92 accord lx, power windows, locks, everything seems to work. The paints good, and the interior is the same. The guy is asking $1400 for it. Its got 240,000 miles on it. The guy thats selling it got it from a honda dealership in the atlanta area. She works in the financing department and obviously got him a deal. He has driven the car for around 2000 miles since he bought the car, (i dont know how long ago), I test drove it and it felt good, for a car with that many miles on it. My pops tells me that the timing belt is crucial to know when it was last changed, but what else should i look for? The guy doesnt know the info about the car, and im not sure if i can get it. Should i just take it by a mechanic to check it out b4 purchasing? HOw long are the motors good for, I know there is no def answer but could someone give me a close estimate please?
Thanks for the time
Jesse

Old 12-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Default RE: How long is the motor good for

if the engine and transmission have been taken care of then you can easily get 400,000 miles out of it, yes the timing belt is crucial to know when its been replaced because its supposed to be done every 90,000 miles or so. When buying a used car its always good to have it thouroly checked over before you make the commitment to buy. But yea its definetly worth it if the car is in good running order and all the maintenance has been kept up.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

have a shop that specializes on Honda or the dealer chk the car over ( buyer's inspection ) and with so many miles make sure that you request a compression test ...

But like Nasty said ,, 400,000 is easily accessable ..i have a few customer with more than that mileage ,, never done any internal engine work..
change the oil and filter regularly ( 3000-3500 miles ) and do the maintanance ,,

Old 12-14-2006, 12:25 AM

Im not Nasty...I take a shower every day lol

Old 12-14-2006, 03:32 PM

I have seen a few in the paper here with more than 500K on them

Old 12-14-2006, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: drummer1279

Im not Nasty...I take a shower every day lol
oops my apologies drummer for some reasons i had Nasty on my mind , it might have been from a previous post that i read

Old 12-15-2006, 12:52 PM
62vdubman
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice and info, I asked the guy to give his sister a call and see if he could get some info on the cars maintence history but no luck, so, I was asking a painter friend of mine,what he thought about the honda, and he happened to have a 1990 Acura Legend sitting in front of his shop, a used car dealer wanted him to do some hood work on it, the intirior has some issuses, -stains, head liner is droping, glove box broken, you know little stupid stuff, Its got 170,000 on it, v6, clean engine bay, good tires, ac works, windows role up and down, but, the doors wont lock if you use the drivers side lock and we couldnt get heat to come out of the vents directly in front of us. The defrosters worked, and so did the floor heat. So the guy is asking 1600 for it, paints good, needs a hood, lights work, brakes feel good, what do ya think?
Thanks again for your time and info
Jesse

Old 12-15-2006, 03:33 PM

if you take care of the motor and give it oil changes every 3k and make sure your fluids are good and you dont beat on it, as well as regular tune ups you can easily get 300-400k out of these engines

Old 12-15-2006, 05:52 PM

dont get that acura, stick with the accord you'll be better off.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:02 PM

just get the buyer's inspection done, and have the compression tested and timing belt at least inspected... the car should be fine if it feels alright but just be safe like you would when buying any other used car

Quick Reply: How long is the motor good for