General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default How much would you pay?

Okay, what would you pay for a '92 accord with 141,000 miles,4cyl, 4 dr,auto, power everything, like new tires, timing belt done at 104k, tune up, whole new exaust, body is pretty good for a '92 with the normal quarter panel rust, glass is good, great heat. They are asking$ 2,800, He said he would go down to $2,400 but thats it, he wants back what he put in. A mechanic friend said HELL NO for a '92, more like $1800 at the most.It drove good to me but the transition from 2nd to 3rd gear(auto) was alittle harsh, power was good, tracking and suspension felt fine.He also kept track of repaires and showed me a log of when repaires were done. What would you pay?

Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't pay ANYTHING without seeing it firsthand for a real good inspection. If you don't know EVERYTHING to look for, it's probably worth your money to have a Honda mechanic check it out.

ANY car that's 17 years old can have all kinds of hidden problems. Or it can be perfect. Nobody can tell over the internet.

What does KBB or Edmunds say about prices?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by NICK63
Okay, what would you pay for a '92 accord with 141,000 miles,4cyl, 4 dr,auto, power everything, like new tires, timing belt done at 104k, tune up, whole new exaust, body is pretty good for a '92 with the normal quarter panel rust, glass is good, great heat. They are asking$ 2,800, He said he would go down to $2,400 but thats it, he wants back what he put in. A mechanic friend said HELL NO for a '92, more like $1800 at the most.It drove good to me but the transition from 2nd to 3rd gear(auto) was alittle harsh, power was good, tracking and suspension felt fine.He also kept track of repaires and showed me a log of when repaires were done. What would you pay?

As suggested I would take it in for an inspection.

I would ask the buyer what else is wrong with the car and why he or she is selling it before you take it in. This will give you an indication if they are trying to screw you or not.

$2400.00 to $2800.00 seems to be a fair price.

You need to consider the following when shopping for similar accords, especially when the price is lower on comparable models.

Has the timing belt been done

How is the windshield
How are the tires
What recent work has been done.
How are the brakes
When was the last time the fluids were changed, brakes bleed, clutch bleed?

Sure, you may find a cheaper car for $1800.00 but if it needs a new timing belt, tires, winsdhield, this will easily cost more than your $600.00 in savings. Especially if you take it in to be done.

Keep in mind everyones definition of value is different.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies

He has records of this car. He bought from a neighbor at 104k miles. it now has 141k, timing belt was done within104k miles, has all new exaust, I drove it and inspected. No leaking fluids, "like new" tires, great glass, power windows and moonroof work. he is selling because his elderly father is giving him his Buick Lacross and they dont need this car.Seller is older(50yrs of age) and purchased this for his kids when they returned from college but they have their own now. It seemed like the idle went alittle weak when put into reverse, what could that be. KBB says$2,100 for my description, then the good tires, exaust. This seems like low miles for the year and other comparable cars are listed the same pricewise. Does the year influence price more than the condition of a car this old.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:16 AM

He has records of this car. He bought from a neighbor at 104k miles. it now has 141k, timing belt was done within104k miles, has all new exaust, I drove it and inspected. No leaking fluids, "like new" tires, great glass, power windows and moonroof work. he is selling because his elderly father is giving him his Buick Lacross and they dont need this car.Seller is older(50yrs of age) and purchased this for his kids when they returned from college but they have their own now. It seemed like the idle went alittle weak when put into reverse, what could that be. KBB says$2,100 for my description, then the good tires, exaust. This seems like low miles for the year and other comparable cars are listed the same pricewise. Does the year influence price more than the condition of a car this old.

Many people take the KBB or where I am from the "Black Book" at face value or the end all be all.

These values can help negotiate a price or help price a car from a seller and a buyer perspective.

Certainly Age, milage, condition (interior, exterior, engine and transmission) are important when assessing the vehicle. People will pay a premium for a hassle free car or a car that is in great shape and has been maintained.

I have seen some vehicles that are a few years old and are in horrible shape. I have seen some vehicles that are older and in pristine shape.

It sounds like the guys story could be legit.

I would look at a few acccords that are for sale and price out items that need to be replaced. Everyone sells a vehicle for a reason.

If the items that need to be replaced on the cheaper car start to out price the purchase price of the guys accord you are inquiring about then the decision is an easy one to make.

Again, use the KBB as a guide. You will be hard pressed to find someone listing a car at the KBB price.

Hope this helps

Old 11-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing, I feel this car with "like new"tires, New exaust, and all the records of fixings will at least allow me to keep from buying them soon. everything works, body is what you would expect for a '92 with q. panel rust, leather is worn. my only concern was why the idle weakens when put in reverse.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 AM

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing, I feel this car with "like new"tires, New exaust, and all the records of fixings will at least allow me to keep from buying them soon. everything works, body is what you would expect for a '92 with q. panel rust, leather is worn. my only concern was why the idle weakens when put in reverse.
I would not be too concerned about a lower idle in reverse. It is not like you will be regularly driving in reverse, or for long periods of time. ha ha ha. Or, when you take it in for an inspection you could ask the mechanic about what may cause a lower idle in reverse. He or she may give you some good free information to go on.

The timing belt will need to be replaced in a few years, but newer tires is a bonus. These are just maintainence items that will need to be done as time goes by. Better to have someone done them already, or recently than you do them after you purchase the car.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

There's some well-known things to fix idle problems, it's probably not a serious problem. Are you mechanically inclined to work on it? Search for "Base" idle for some guidance. I can explain more if you feel like working on it yourself.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
There's some well-known things to fix idle problems, it's probably not a serious problem. Are you mechanically inclined to work on it? Search for "Base" idle for some guidance. I can explain more if you feel like working on it yourself.
I talked to a dealer so the issue doesnt worry me much anymore, what about shifting late from 2nd to third gear(auto)it seemed to shift late and somewhat harsh. I gave a description of the car earlier in the thread, I wanna know if the $2,400 he said he'll let it go for is too much, originally $2,800. I offered $2,000 cash and am waiting on an answer.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Don't ask me about auto tranny. All my cars have clutch pedals.

Quick Reply: How much would you pay?