General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove a CV joint that is stuck in a transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Default How to remove a CV joint that is stuck in a transmission?

Hello,

Title pretty much says it all. To clarify, I have a 1998 honda accord, 4 door, 4 cylinder, VTEC. Im replacing my first CV axle. I have seen videos on youtube where the axle slides out of the transmission, or it needs a little bit of prying to come loose.

At this point, neither of those has worked for me. I am nervous to try really whaling on it with a hammer and prybar (don't want to mess up my transmission case).

I have seen the slide hammer to vice grip trick... but for that much money... I am thinking I will piece it back together and take it to the mechanic.

Anyone have any advice before I give up on this repair?

And also, now the axle has maybe a 1/4" gap from the transmission, where before I pryed on it it was about flush... Think its going to be safe to drive down to the mechanic like this (after putting the shaft back into the hub, mounting the tire, etc..), or should I just call AAA and have it towed to the mechanic?

Last edited by nrakid88; 10-10-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Locking clip may be damaged. I had this once on a Acura TL. I used chisel and drove it between trans case and CV axle to force axle out.

Harbor Freight has the slide hammer for a cheap price. However, the specialized CV axle fork to slide behind may cost more.

Another option to consider:

good luck

Old 10-10-2014, 04:05 PM

Thanks for giving me your insight... I dont have access to the specific tools... and Im in common parking lot area for my apartment. I had to reassemble the vehicle... I cant leave it up for kids to get hurt exploring...

Being in an apartment I don't have a welder to rig something like that up either...

I think i will be paying a mechanic for this job. Darn, it was going so smoothly before that happened too! Oh well, just a bit outside my capabilities right now.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:37 AM
Almost A Senior Member

A good pry bar will do the trick,, just give it a good pry and it should pop out, the clip holds it in place, you have to overcome the tension on the clip to let it compress and allow the axle to come out, I just had this exact issue on my 96 accord, good luck.