General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How ripped off did I get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Default How ripped off did I get?

Okay, Here's the story. I bought this 2000 Accord LX with 134k for a grand. No visible rust, no dents, however it's been in an accident. I know this because the bumper is clearly different, and the frame that holds the radiator grill is bent to hell. The spare tire container is also all dented in. I can handle that part. Here's what I'm worried about.

The engine currently does not work. Something to do with the head gasket and or valves. The mechanic who okayed the purchase assured me he could get it running, but he's an idiot and it's been 2 weeks with no work done what so ever. He's full of bull**** excuses every time I call and I should have never trusted him from the start. His dad is a longtime family mechanic, so I did, but I'll never make that mistake again.

Anyway, lets assume the worst. This engine has been worked on by someone with little to no knowledge of cars. There are three switches to nothing in dash connected to each other but not attached to anything. Maybe what what a Nitro kit would look like (Master on/off switch to a spring loaded button)?

How bad did I get ripped off. Here are some images of the car:

Name:  juKLd.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  82.6 KB
Name:  eXQBG.jpg
Size:  113.5 KB
Name:  diSPQ.jpg
Size:  195.0 KB

Old 10-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would pay $1,000 for that no problem

Old 10-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Depending on what the real problem is, if it costs too much to repair the existing engine, sometimes you can find a good used motor for a few hundred bucks to put in there.

The PCV valve is missing, all kind of debris can get in there if it was running. But, it's not running right now, so if the hood was closed, the most that would get in there is like bugs, a little dirt, etc.

Attached Thumbnails How ripped off did I get?-engine.jpg  
Old 10-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

The engine isnt the biggest deal, you can get one from a junkyard for $300ish dollars and usually come with a 60 or 90 day warranty.

As long as the front bumper is still safe and functioning it shouldnt matter too much if its bent.

The thing I'd be worried most about is that paint job

Old 10-12-2011, 06:22 PM

According to the "Mechanic" it's ready tomorrow- he's been saying that daily for nearly 2 weeks. I'm going to have it towed to the mechanic that I know and trust pretty well. These deep engine repairs are way beyond my skill set. I'll be back with an update tomorrow night!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice

The thing I'd be worried most about is that paint job
Dude! I found this forum through an image search of "blue honda accord, NH"!!!

I'm planning on going back to the original color eventually, which was the Honda green.

all your words are encouraging. I really, really want this thing to work out, and if it costs me less than $500, I'll still consider it a good deal.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:11 AM

I was going to suggest getting your car from the family friend mechanic ASAP and bringing it to a competent mechanic.

but you beat me to it.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:03 AM

So the head gasket needs to be replaced, the timing belt is off, possible valve/piston damage and I'm almost positive there was a nitrous kit in this car at some point.

What do you think- Is it worth doing or should I just start looking for a new engine/car?

Old 10-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Given what is already failed on the engine, I would move on to a better maintained car. You could be in for a whole lot of frustration and huge expense with this car. Nitrous will eventually blow the bottom end out of the motor making the block unusable. Look around for a clean, well documented Accord...I bought my 1993 LX 4 months ago for $1800....runs like a top.

Last edited by bigpat; 10-15-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:19 PM

If the car was non-runner, I wouldn't pay any more than $500 even if there is no dents and rusts. If it was me, I would take it all apart and sell for parts on CL or eBay, recover $$ for next car that is runnin to fix up.

Quick Reply: How ripped off did I get?