General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How ripped off did I get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 PM

So I just heard from a real mechanic. The motor is ****. The catalytic converter has been removed, as has the oxygen sensor. They said it's either a complete engine rebuild or just buy a new one. I'm not that handy, there's no way I can do a job like that myself. I don't have the know how or experience. I got ripped off on this car. Big time. I'm pretty pissed off right now.

Hopefully I can get rid of this thing on CL or even ebay.

Ding Dang it. WBANG

Last edited by DoctorRock; 10-17-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:34 PM

Just part it out and then quit taking my Lords name in vain.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:55 PM

What where you thinking buying a car that doesn't run? Did you know the person you bought it from?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dshow
What where you thinking buying a car that doesn't run? Did you know the person you bought it from?
Sort of. It was the son of the mechanic that my father had been going to for over 20 years.

The arrangement was I buy the car for a grand, as is, and once it's running he gets my old car, which is an old Nissan Altima worth roughly $500. I was assured it was a one day job, and I would have a running car within 72 hours. He basically withheld all the bad things about it, but by the time I realized he was a lying no good terrible person, I had already gone through with the purchase. His father had vouched for him and the car, I took him at his word. I got taken. Swindled. A short con. For what, I'm not sure. I guess he just wanted to get rid of it. I think the kid is just lazy when it comes down to it. He had the car for two weeks. The garage was near my house, so after a week of excuses I went down there and marked the tires so that if it moved, I would be able to tell. After another week of excuses, he tells me "just because it's parked in the same spot, that doesn't mean I didn't move it into the garage to work on it." I check the marks and it hadn't moved an inch. It was then I realized that he had basically burned a bridge, and had either no intention of fixing this car, or was simply unable to fix it.

Long story, I know. I'm mostly upset with myself. I've never done anything so stupid before. I think if I can find the right person, I may be able to break even. It's gonna be hard, because I will be brutally honest with them. I'm getting it towed to my house, I may fiddle with it, but the timing belt is off, so yeah, there's that. At least I can still sell my Nissan and I'll nave enough to get something going. I did like the accord even though I never got to drive it... Maybe some other day.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Sorry to hear the latest...If you don't want to part it out(...a real hassel...)You might consider doing a charitable donation of the car to Salvation Army or another charity to auction the car as is. You can get a tax voucher from them for the $1000 you paid for it and write it off this years taxes. Often times churches will accept a donated vehicle for auction as well. Maybe not what you want to do, but worth considering anyway. Another option is to put an ad in the Accord Forum classifieds as someone may be looking for a project car at a reasonable price. Be sure to post pics and offer full detailed disclosure on the issues with the car. Price it to sell and it likely will. Good Luck !!

Last edited by bigpat; 10-17-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bigpat
You might consider doing a charitable donation of the car to Salvation Army or another charity to auction the car as is. You can get a tax voucher from them for the $1000 you paid for it and write it off this years taxes. Often times churches will accept a donated vehicle for auction as well.
A few things to be aware of regarding donating a car, the write-off is generally the fair market value. So, even if you paid $1,000 and then donated it, if that was not the fair market value, IRS will not allow the full $1,000 as a tax deduction. Additionally, if your standard deductions is higher than your itemized deductions, the car donation wouldn't really give you any tax benefit.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:56 AM
Administrator

And of course there is always small claims court you can go to about this.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
And of course there is always small claims court you can go to about this.
Again, this is a huge learning experience for me, and I know now that I did this wrong. The bill of sale says as is, and the arrangement for him to fix it was... verbal. I know. I know now times a million.

I have a friend who has an engine lift (is that what they're called?) and I found a parts accord same year with a running engine for $350 on CL. towing would cost 150-200. I'm considering this option. Even if I pay my friend another $300 and do all the work with him, it may be worth it...

sigh.

Again, I'll keep yall posted.