General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Mechanic ripped me off! Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Default HELP! Mechanic ripped me off! Now what?

Have a 1998 Honda Accord. The middle of February until now I have had these repairs: Rebuilt transmission installed, timing belt replaced, water pump replaced,new brake pads, new O2 sensors, new distributor system, new catalytic convertor. The check engine light constantly came on, the mechanic would reset computer because he couldn't find any other problems. Then I was driving one day and it started to blow out white smoke. I instantly pulled over and had it towed to shop. The car never gave any warning signs of overheating problems. No leaks in radiator, no steam. Mechanic said he thought it was the head gasket, and said it would cost $1000 - 1200. I had spent $1600 from February until July, and now this? I said to go ahead because I had no choice. 1 week later I get a call saying that it wasn't the head gasket so they would have to replace the engine! $2500. He said that he would work the price of the head gasket into the engine cost so that I wouldn't have to pay each bill in full. I ended up saying no, that I had gone as far as I could financially with this car, so I put it for sale for $1700, and it sold instantly even though I said that it needed an engine. The guy who bought it called me the day after he got it to thank me for selling it to him and said that there was actually nothing wrong with the engine and that the thermostat was installed backwards. So...now I owe the mechanic over $2400, I have no car and I think that I was taken advantage of because I'm an older woman on my own. Do I have any recourse? Can I deny the charges on my bill since I'm paying for something that didn't work? The head gasket? Isn't that like buying a brand new tv and not being able to get your money back?

Old 08-20-2011, 04:10 PM

It would be a good idea to get a lawyer to look over the terms of the repairs the mechanic did and such to see if there's any way for you to dispute it. It definitely sounds like you've run into a dishonest AND unskilled mechanic (or maybe he is just a bona fide moron). If this mechanic really did rip you off this badly there's a possibility that it would be a good idea to take it to small claims court.

First and foremost I would get the opinion of a second mechanic (one you can trust, ask a family member or friend for a mechanic they trust) on the repairs and the quality of this first mechanic's work, also ask them what they would have charged and what they would have done in a similar situation. It would be better if you still had the car so you could get a good second opinion from a good mechanic with the car right there, but give another mechanic the car's symptoms and see if they would have replaced all those parts at once as well or if mechanic A is shady. If the buyer of your car is willing to, you should see if they'll help you out here. You could potentially use a statement from them against mechanic A in court if the repair was as simple as a backwards thermostat and the mechanic was quoting you to replace the entire engine. If the buyer will help you out here that would be premium.

Another good thing to do would be to post negative reviews of the shop online so others know to steer clear of this mechanic and the shop he works in.

Sorry this was so long, to me it does sound like you've been taken advantage of, and you should consult a lawyer on the matter and get in touch with the buyer as soon as possible.

Next time get recommendations on a good mechanic from people you trust! Always look for ASE certified technicians, and don't shy away from paying a little bit extra $$$/hr for one. ASE techs work hard for that title, and they're very trustworthy, so you don't have to worry about them taking advantage of you just because you're an older woman. Also, in the future, feel free to come here to get an idea of whether or not a mechanic is giving you a good price and diagnosis for your car's problems so this doesn't happen to you again!

Last edited by Peli; 08-20-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Adding a few things, ASE certified techs etc.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I don't think you have any recourse. Depending on the car's mileage, the $1600 you spent prior to the white smoke problem - rebuilt transmission installed, timing belt replaced, water pump replaced, new brake pads, new O2 sensors, new distributor system, new catalytic converter - are all maintenance and/or expected repairs for this car. It was probably $1600 well spent. The fact that it developed the white smoke problem after the listed repairs may not have anything to do with those repairs.

And then he dropped a $2500 repair estimate in your lap. Armchair quarterbacking, I know, but instead of selling the car you might instead have had it towed to another repair shop for a second opinion. Just because the person you sold the car to told you that the problem was fixed by turning around the thermostat doesn't necessarily mean he's telling the truth or has a clue. In any case, since you no longer have control over the car, there's no way to prove what the actual problem was.

I second Peli's advice. Solicit repair ship recommendations from your friends and co-workers. Try to develop a long term relationship with a repair shop. Get all your repairs done there. Start with oil changes & other small stuff and get a sense of the shop's expertise and honesty. And don't hesitate to get a second opinion for big $$$ repairs.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:17 PM

And $1600 isn't all that bad for all the initial repairs given parts and labor. It just doesn't sit well with me that the mechanic then diagnoses the car as needing a new head gasket and once that's installed it needs a new engine. I don't know how likely it is that there will be anything you can do about it legally though. Might just have to dish out some street justice

In the end what she needs to do is get some legal advice on the matter. There are free legal aid hotlines you can find if you don't want to shell out the money for a consultation with a lawyer.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:28 PM

I don't know what engine you had in that car but I don't think you can put a thermostat in backwards. also if white smoke was coming out of the exhaust pipe I doubt that reversing a thermostat will eliminate the damage that was all ready done

Old 08-20-2011, 07:43 PM

oh also a mechanic really doesn't know what's wrong with your engine till he pulls the head. most likely it would be the head gasket . that's why he said head gasket but the possibility of a cracked block is all ways there. sometimes the responsibility lies with the customer. after all it was your car.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Default Investigation

I would do some investigation on my own to find out if the person who bought the car knows or is connected with the person who "fixed" your car. Something sounds fishy about someone who would call you the next day and tell you what he told you.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:18 AM

you sold your car to a real creep. calling you up and telling you that. he probably pulled the thermostat and the engine is running colder possibly hiding the symptoms.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:14 PM

If this was a big plan, to screw you out of your car and money, I doubt they would call you up to rub it in. I think various elements came together, to help you screw yourself. Mechanics make mistakes all the time. Proving it was intentional, would be difficult. The lessons to be learned are, make sure it's a reputable shop, and get a second opinion on big ticket repair bills.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:11 PM

Most those repairs you cited are typical and need to be done specially on later model car.

Timing belt replaced, water pump replaced,new brake pads, new O2 sensors, new distributor system, new catalytic convertor these are maintance issues that for a car that is 13 years old will need replacing. I have replaced all these parts on my 96 accord except for the distributor and transmission. Transmissions in 98 accords aren't the greatest thing, they often have to be replaced.

As far as the new engine, based on your story the mechanic probably felt you needed a new engine. Most people aren't paying a mechanic to install a new/rebuilt engine on a 13 year old car, they walk away like you did and the mechanic gets nothing. Of course its possible he was a crappy mechanic and missed a simple problem it sounds like that may have been the case. Its also possible the car is going to die in 100miles because something in fact is still messed up on it.