General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Distributor Question

Old 10-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Default Distributor Question

How do you know when you need a new Distributor ? Idk whats wrong with my 92 Accord , its getting no spark now for some reason ,. I turned my car on and i gave it gas twice and it turned off by itself , i tried turning it back on a while later and it didnt want to start ? clueless .

Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Edward,

Some typical symptoms of a bad distributor include unexplainable shaking whenever the car is ignition, difficulties starting (or not starting at all) and a high-pitched squealing noise when starting the vehicle.

If you are experiencing this squeaking noise, stop the car and check under the distributor cap. Oftentimes, the distributor cap will become caked with pollutants and grease. These buildups can sometimes cause the distributor cap to make a squealing noise as the air circulates through the engine. If after cleaning the distributor cap the noise continues, a whole new distributor may be required.

Additionally, your igniter unit (shown as ref #7 in the diagram below) could be bad. Here's a test you can perform to determine whether or not the igniter unit has gone on permanent vacation in your Accord:

1) Remove the distributor cap, rotor and the inner cover.
Disconnect the black/yellow, light green, yellow/green and blue wires from the igniter.

2) Check for voltage between the black/yellow wire and ground. Battery voltage should be present with the ignition ON. If voltage is not present, check the black/yellow wire between the ignition coil and the igniter.

3) Check for voltage between the light green wire and ground. Battery voltage should be present with the ignition ON. If voltage is not present, check the ignition coil and the light green (black/white) wire between the ignition coil and the igniter.

4) Turn the ignition switch OFF.

5) Check the yellow/green wire between the engine control module and the igniter for continuity. Also check the blue wire between the tachometer and the igniter for continuity.

6) Check the resistance between the terminals which connect to the blue and light green wires. It should be between 1,100-3,300 ohms. If not, the igniter must be replaced.

*diagram courtesy of hondapartsnow.com; all rights reserved