General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to take out a broken exhaust stud.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 12:05 AM
Default How to take out a broken exhaust stud.

one of my exhaust stud was broken when I tried to tighten it up. part of it was left in the cylinder head thread. Is it easy to take out? how? I am araid that exhaust will leak due to the missing stud.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: How to take out a broken exhaust stud.

with lots of patience and a good set of sharp drill bits,,
is there enough stud sticking out to grab it ? if so possibly a stud remover ? is it an exh manifold stud ??
and yes it will leak if not fixed

Old 03-17-2007, 02:47 AM

it is an exhaust manifold stud. but itlooksother studs are still tight. there is no much left outside the thread.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:23 AM

If you have enough to get even a nut started on the stud you can weld the inside of thenut to the stud and turn the nut with a wrench. this is of course if you have access to a tig welder. I have done this numerous times and works very well.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Situation can go from bad to worse if other studs are similar. Problem is nuts are rusted to the stud. I would try to remove the manifold to allow access to the broken stud. Clean remaining nuts and exposed threads carefully w/ wire brush and douse w/ PB Blaster or similar rust penetrant. Heat the nuts w/ a propane torch, and redouse w/ penetrant several times. Try to gradually loosen by working nut back/forth.

Once the manifold is removed, the nut/stud welding technique is best way to back out the stud. This is an easy job for any compentent welder. Again use of heat and penetrant will help. Patience is necessary. Here haste really makes for problems.

If study is below flush of the engine block, there is a tool to electrically burnt out the stud w/o damaging the threads. Specialty shops offer this service. I'm not sure if it can be done in place or requires machine access. If you need professional help, ask around auto parts stores and machine shops for someone skilled in this typeof problem.

good luck

Old 03-26-2007, 01:20 AM

Will it be a big problem if I don't have this broken stud repaired? Exhaust leak and noise? Will it be worse?

Old 03-26-2007, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No way to know but try. I suspect you will havea leak w/ a nut missing.

good luck

Old 03-26-2007, 01:58 AM

Just read a google group post saying that the exhaust manifold could be warped due to a missed stud. This consequence is terrible enough for me.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 AM

use ur drill bits and drill a small hole in the stud... buy a set of EZ outs and use those to get it out... they are similar to a drill bit but they are reverse.. they make them specifically for this purpose... i had the same problem... out of curiosity... was it the stud closet to the alternator? furthest right when looking at the engine from the front...?

Old 03-26-2007, 11:38 AM

Yes, it is the stud closest to the alternator. You had the same one before? interesting.
BTW, who knows the size of the hole for the stud on the exhaust manifold? want to make a pilot guide tube for drilling to make sureI can drill in the center. I have tried twice but it is always offcenter without taking off the manifold. stop without further drilling and thinking of making a guide.

Quick Reply: How to take out a broken exhaust stud.