General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hunting vacuum leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Hunting vacuum leaks?

I'm convinced I have a vacuum leak.

The car idles like crap on some days, where you can hear the engine do it's up and down thing. While driving you can hear a high pitched whine almost like a plane engine when you hear a plane far away. It seems to be timed to when the car slows down in that when the car is slowing down the whine occurs and goes down with it. Like a "wheeeooooooooo". I can hear it while driving as well.

I've tried hunting for it using carb cleaner but that didn't work out too well. I sprayed areas where I thought I might have caused a vacuum leak when I was trying to remove a hose from a nipple where the throttle body meets snorkel tube but that didn't register a change in idle.

I checked the service manual for the vacuum lines but it looked confusing. Does anyone know where common vacuum leaks tend to occur or the best way to go about fixing this issue?

Could it have anything to do with a dirty throttle plate? I still haven't been able to clean it because I can't get the dang snorkel off with that tube that's like permanently attached to the snorkel. Apparently I'm supposed to be able to remove it but time and age seems to have glued it on to the nipple. I have to figure out what I'm going to do there first.

Actually my first thought about the leaks was that my constant pulling on the thing broke it because the nipple pulled out instead of the hose on it. There's a tiny gap that I'm convinced wasn't there before and the nipple is slightly loose in where it sits. If I broke it I guess I'm up the creek because Honda apparently has no replacement for it short of replacing the whole snorkel tube.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:30 PM

your iacv is likely clogged up, along with your egr passages.

i cleaned my egr passages, iacv, fitv, and cleaned and polished my tb.

car purrs like a kitten now

remove your intake tube. send a detailed pipcture of it so i can take a look and figure it out

Old 07-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

I keep asking, is this on the 95 or 93?

Have you tried WD-40 or Pb-Blaster where the snorkel attaches to the throttle body? Then try twisting the snorkel to work in the penetrating oil. Are you loosening the metal clamp that is tightened with a Philips head bolt?

Old 07-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I've been meaning to clean the IACV but haven't gotten around to it yet. FITV too but I didn't really see how it could be cleaned? Just that the screw inside is adjusted but I'm not sure if that's just masking an idle airflow problem.

Actually I think I'm going to clean the IACV tomorrow.

EGR passages I have no idea how to do. I watched a video on it yesterday and got up to a part where the guy started drilling through these circles and I turned it off there. No way am I taking a drill to it. Ahahahaha!

remove your intake tube. send a detailed pipcture of it so i can take a look and figure it out
The snorkel? I can't remove it, not with that vacuum line still connected because it holds on and doesn't stretch so there's no way to remove the snorkel because I can't move it anywhere.

You want me to take a picture of the thing I can't remove? I probably can. But I'd have to wait until tomorrow. In the mean time here's a picture from Honda.

1993 HONDA ACCORD DX AIR CLEANER - Honda Original Parts from Lings Honda v1.01

All the way on the upper right where that little pipe is suspended in the air, to the left is a little thing popping out of the snorkel tube. That's the nipple the line plugs into. That line is impossible for me to remove from that nipple.

Also I just noticed that for the part marked 28, I don't even have that on my car. It looks like it plugs in under the snorkel tube but that hole is plugged with a cap on mine and part 28 is missing entirely.

I keep asking, is this on the 95 or 93?

Have you tried WD-40 or Pb-Blaster where the snorkel attaches to the throttle body? Then try twisting the snorkel to work in the penetrating oil. Are you loosening the metal clamp that is tightened with a Philips head bolt?
It's not where the snorkel attaches to the throttle body. That comes off find. It's a little jut sticking out of the snorkel itself, on this nipple is another hose entirely a very thin small hose about the diameter of a pencil. This is attached to it. This is the hose I can't remove without fear of ripping the rubber in half or something.

Last edited by MessAround; 07-14-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

If you look at the parts listed, 28 isn't one of them, so I am guessing it should not be there.

My best advice to remove that hose is to use PB-Blaster or some kind of penetrating oil. You can wrap a dish towel around that hose and use a pair of pliers to either twist on that vacuum hose, or lift up on that hose. You may be able to wedge wire cutters where the hose meets the snorkel, and push up on the end of the hose. Pliers may get the job done too.