General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I call on your wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Default I call on your wisdom

I posted about this before but I never got it figured out. The problem only seems to be getting worse(I don't drive the car just start it from time to time).

It has a knocking/rattling noise at 2,000rpm+. It all started a long time ago when the car ran really rich, I eventually figured that problem out, but all the gas in the engine seemed to cause this. I took the bottom end apart, the main bearings looked mint, the rod bearings had slight wear on them so I replaced them. Put it back together and the noise persisted. I had 2 of my friends come over that work at dealerships and they swore that it was the balancer shaft bearings.

So I removed the balancer shaft belt and the noise still persists. I need ideas HAF, If I don't get this figured out soon I will just bite the bullet and bring it to a shop and pay them to figure it out. I want to get it figure out so I can drive the car, it has driven 5 miles in the last 2.5 years.

Here is a video of the problem

MVI_2605.mp4 video by 666Sticks666 - Photobucket

Old 03-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Your check engine light is turned on. Do you know the code(s) for that?

Is there a drastic loss of power when driving the car?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

The code is for VTEC pressure sensor, it only turns on when you rev to 3-4k. I can't really speak for the power as I didnt get on it at all, but it seemed to have plenty.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

What was causing the car to run really rich?

Have you tried doing a compression, then follow up with a leakdown test?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Of all things a leaking MAP sensor o-ring, but it didn't throw a MAP CEL so it made it difficult to diagnose. Even replaced the ECU trying to diagnose it

Compression test checked out fine.

Haven't had the means to do a leak down yet.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

I have no idea. Can you figure out where the noise is coming from? Is the engine shaking?

If you remove the alternator and the power steering belts, does the noise go away?

Have you check the valve clearances?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

The engine isnt shaking, and its hard to pinpoint where its coming from, but it definitely sounds like the engine not the accessories. Sounds more like bottom end than top end but hard to say for sure.

I have not checked the valve clearances.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Its hard to tell with the echoing in your video, but does your engine sound normal at idle?

I wonder if the noise and the vtec pressure sensor are related?

The oil pressure on a F22B1 should be 10 psi at idle and 50 psi at 3000 rpm, and should remain steady. Not sure if the psi is the same for the F20B. Maybe the auto parts stores have an oil pressure tester as a loaner tool. You would have to attach it where the oil pressure sending unit is bolted to the block.

Sorry about all of the questions. Hopefully someone one here will chime in. You may want to send a PM to deserthonda or hondadue and ask if they can take a look at this thread. They don't come on here much anymore, but will help out a fellow moderator.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah it sounds normal at idle, maybe a little of the normal honda valve lash.

I'm unsure about the vtec pressure sensor, that may be an issue with the wiring to the ECU, I remember having to switch it with my H22 but I don't think it is switched here. I was just planning on sorting that out after I got this sorted out.

Its ok, I'm kind of at a loss. It makes it harder because the Accord is in storage 2 hours away so I rarely get an opportunity to work on it.