General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i dont have 12 volts at fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Default i dont have 12 volts at fuel pump?

I have a 1988 accord lxi mt. The car will not start due to fuel pump not running. I have already replaced the fuel pump and know that it is good. I do not have 12 volts at the fuel pump. I have checked the main relay, replaced the main relay with no effect. I have checked fuses and everything else in the repair manual. The problem has continually gotten worse over a period of time. When it would not start I could turn the key from off to on not start position and sometimes I could here a clicking noise coming from where the main relay is and near the check engine light and the car would start right up. If I didnt hear the clicking the car would not start. It didnt really matter how long it sat but it seemed to work better if I left it overnight and came back in the morning. I think it is a electrical component but dont really know where to go since the wiring is good and the manual I have doesnt really have the checks I want to do. I have worked as a honda motorcycle technician and am pretty familiar with electronics and what it takes to fix them, but the cars are a little harder to trace.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

What manual do you have for your car? If you go to the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link for online shop manuals. You can get an 86-89 manual that will have a lot of details.

I would start by testing the inputs to the main relay. Page 12-52 has the input tests. You want to see if voltage from the ignition switch is being sent to the main relay. You might want to back probe that wire and use a 12V test light or a volt meter to see if you are getting voltage when you first turn the key to the II position.

When you don't hear the clicks, does the check engine light turn on for about two seconds?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:27 PM

I have a honda shop manual for the car. I downloaded it before when I was having other issues. I have been through all of the checks from pg 12-52 to the end of that section before when this problem first started. Everything checked good and I eventually tried a different fuse for the fuel pump and it started. I have tried that already again btw. I went and double checked the engine light. First turn it went out after about 3 sec, after turning switch off and back on light came on and stayed on. I think this is the first time that has happened. Maybe that can make it a little easier.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Page 12-16 shows how to check for engine codes on your car. Let us know what code you have.

The tests I was thinking was for the electrical connector for the main relay.

IG. SW #5 wire should have 12V when the key is in the II position.
ST. SW #4 should get 12V when you turn the key to start the car.
Bat #1 should always have 12V (I think).
Ground #2 should be a closed circuit to a good grounding point (any bare metal bolt should be a good ground).

Old 08-16-2011, 09:07 PM

Ok I tried to check the led for any kind of code, when I turned the key on nothing happened at all with the led. I turned the key back and forth a couple times and my check engine light goes out within 3 sec and the car starts right up. It continues to start at least 5 more times until I turn the key and the check engine light comes on and stays on. It does this several times tonight. What are the chances that the led is burnt out? My check engine light has came on while driving but only 1-2 times and will go out after I cycle the key. Even though it didnt recognize the code again it should still be stored right. Im guessing the key switch or computer having issues with connectivity somewhere.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Look to see if the shop manual shows where the grounds are located. I would also unplug the ECU and see if there are any loose/corroded pins. Check that the fuses for the ECU are not loose. I would also disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables.

It sounds like this could be an ECU problem. I would go to car-part.com to price an engine computer for your car. That site searches junkyards and you can sort by price or distance to get an idea of the cost of an ECU replacement.