General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why dont honda's have good off the line power

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Default Why dont honda's have good off the line power

I 've test drove the camry and I've drove the honda 's..How come the accelerations in camries and corolla engines' feel much more smoooth.....like when I press the gas pedal it 's an effortless push on the pedal. How come Honda dont' make the off the line acceleration feel like the toyota's ...

Old 07-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Default RE: Why dont honda's have good off the line power

Honda typically uses slightly taller gears in there automatics to improve fuel economy. Your off the line power isn't as snappy as some others but your economy is.... If you go to a manual then they have some amazing gear ratios for power off the line.... Not to mention the way a car feels vs. the actuall responsiveness of a vehicle has a lot to do with the driver not just the car. I could make a chevy sprint "feel" fast off the line and my accord feel a bit slow but if you sat the numbers side by side it'd be obvious.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:47 PM

I've noticed too, that there can be noticeable variations from car to car of the same exact model. You can take two Camrys or two Accords, and notice one runs a little stronger. You may have had a strong Camry and a ordinary or weak Accord. Weather, gas in the tank, and other factors go into the 'seat of the pants' acceleration guage we try to have. Samecan hold true w/ those who do engine mods; sometimes the car feels quicker because we expect it to.

But I think sir_nasty hit the nail on the head; gear ratios.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:11 PM

Also Honda's don't make much torque. Plus the torque they make is usually in the higher RPM range. So if you have a manual, to get a good launch your going to have to rev it up to the higher RPM ranges & dump the clutch[sm=gears.gif] (and hope it doesn't stall out or screw something up[sm=laughat.gif])

Old 07-13-2007, 04:00 PM

I agree that the Honda's power is in the higher RPM range (especially with the four cylinder). For an automatic, you can control it a lot better off the line if you shift it manually - hold it in first until it revs to around 5-6,000 rpm and then shift to second etc. through the gears.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

^ Right on the money.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:53 AM

ORIGINAL: dboy

I 've test drove the camry and I've drove the honda 's..How come the accelerations in camries and corolla engines' feel much more smoooth.....like when I press the gas pedal it 's an effortless push on the pedal. How come Honda dont' make the off the line acceleration feel like the toyota's ...
I test drove a Camrybut ended up buying the Accord back in 2000.For the money, the Accord was a much better car in terms of handling, braking and acceleration. I'll admit the Camry was roomier and smoother, but it was a no brainer for me.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

one more agreement. my auto is quite tame off the line....though there is a decent kick about 3k