General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I give up........ ( 97 Accord problems )

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Default I give up........ ( 97 Accord problems )

Hey folks,
Sorry for being the guy posts only when he has a problem, but this is the first time I've visited the site and could really use some help. I have a 97 Accord SE that has recently given me some starting problems. I live in Iowa and right now the temp is around 15 degrees. When I try to start the car it acts as though it's not getting a spark and just continually turns over. Every once in a while while trying to start, it will pop and give a small backfire. If you turn the car over long enough it will eventually fire enough times to make it start very roughly, but that's only after turning it over until the battery is low enough to need a jump start from another vehicle. After turning it over for a while the car will also fire when you let off the key. Sounds weird I know, but when you disengage the starter it will momentarily fire. It also smells like it's getting plenty of fuel. Once the car is started and warm you can shut it off and restart it without any issues whatsoever. On days when it's above 35 or so it also seems to start fairly easily, but not as easy as when it's been running and then shut off. I've replaced the rotor, cap, wires, battery and plugs.......I've attempted to replace the fuel filter but couldn't manage to get it loose on the supply side. It seems like it may be an electrical/sensor issue, but I'm not sure where to start. If any of you have any suggestions or thoughts I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.
Jamie

Gotter fixed........Ignition control module

Last edited by Iowan; 02-12-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

I assume you do not have any stored codes or the CEL on.....Also you state that it acts like lack of spark but have you confirmed? If you have spark....then

Check test the ECT sensor. Brown (?-long day, memory gone on color) two wire sensor under the dist (4 cyl, 6 cyl different). Check to see if it is within spec.

Are you having any coolant loss?

Last, for the fuel filter-which could also/still be the issue-there is a write up in the DIY (hondadude ?) section on what is needed to change that-or get it done by someone.

Last edited by poorman212; 02-17-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Highlight question
Old 02-07-2011, 07:26 PM

Could be a relay problem...mine had almost the same problem a few years ago

Old 02-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Ive been having some cold start issues as well... i changed the oil because I had too much in it.. when you changed your plugs was there oil all over them??

when you start it, dont hit the accelerator untill it does turn over...

ive been starting mine before i go to sleep around 10pm... warm it up a little.. i go to work at 230am, and its cold, and thats when I have the hard starts... its possible that at the really cold weather maybe the oil is freezing up..

If oil is straight and all good, maybe get an additive like pro-long.. thin out the oil a bit, to help with cold starts...

if all else fails... space heater that suckah an hour or 2 before u start it...? starts and runs fine when warm right??

just some thoughts... gl!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, let me ask one more (Iowan and Danny). When you turn the key to "on" does the CEL come on for 2~3 sec and then go off-fuel pump primes.....danny, for you, without warming up the car....yes most main relay issues come up in the summer but some come up in the winter...

Old 02-07-2011, 10:27 PM

I have verified the spark......seems blue and not orange. The CEL is not on. No coolant loss. What is the ECT sensor and how do I check it. I don't know much about the igniter which I believe is under the distributor cap, but could it be a possibility? I've also seen some posting about a cold start valve? I really don't think it's the fuel filter due to the fact that it runs fine after it starts.

Last edited by Iowan; 02-07-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by ryandavis33
Could be a relay problem...mine had almost the same problem a few years ago
Do you remember which relay you changed out by chance?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Iowan
Do you remember which relay you changed out by chance?
It was so long ago that i dont remember

All i remember is that it was worn out so the car would crank but never start on hot days...or maybe because it was humid

Best of luck to ya...hope this helps

Old 02-08-2011, 05:55 PM

ive heard that if no start on hot days... main relay

Old 02-08-2011, 07:13 PM

--post withdrawn due to misinformation--

Last edited by gxgman; 02-13-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: the right thing to do

Quick Reply: I give up........ ( 97 Accord problems )