General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I have a few things i need help with

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Default I have a few things i need help with

ok so i just got this 96 accord with only 80k miles on it but the speedo is like stuck at a lil more then 15mph and it needs two door handles and a ignition key cylinder that match instead of using multiple keys. has anyone ever run into this problem with the speedo? the rest of the cluster works fine and does anyone have any tips on where i can get 2 outter door handles and ignition key cylinder that have the same key? or at the very least 2 door handles that match?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is Check Engine Light on? If yes, go to DIY section and download the codes from ECU per instructions. Post them for help.

If odometer and/or trip odometer is working, then speedometer movement is broken. It will probably be easiest to replace the entire instrument panel w/ a used part purchased on ebay or using car-part.com to search for a salvage yard part near your zip code.

If odometers are not working, then confirming no ECU codes is essential to know that vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is working. If it's working, again you need a new instrument panel.

You should be able to get door handles and lock cylinders from Honda. Salvage yard may also be an option for door handles. Door handles may be available on ebay at reasonable prices.

good luck

Old 02-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Is Check Engine Light on? If yes, go to DIY section and download the codes from ECU per instructions. Post them for help.

If odometer and/or trip odometer is working, then speedometer movement is broken. It will probably be easiest to replace the entire instrument panel w/ a used part purchased on ebay or using car-part.com to search for a salvage yard part near your zip code.

If odometers are not working, then confirming no ECU codes is essential to know that vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is working. If it's working, again you need a new instrument panel.

You should be able to get door handles and lock cylinders from Honda. Salvage yard may also be an option for door handles. Door handles may be available on ebay at reasonable prices.

good luck

no engine light its just stuck there lol i think im just going to try to sell the car for what i paid for it i already have 2 project cars and a motor cycle to work on

Old 02-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the cluster itself is broken, it tends to be a more common problem as the cars get older. They are under $100 on ebay and they can usually roll them to say whatever mileage you want.