General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I made a rookie mistake

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default I made a rookie mistake

and kicking myself, i have worked on alot of motors but just now started re-building Honda's well did a head gasket and my buddy helped me, he pulled off all the spark plug groments and didn't put them back on. I failed to check before putting everything back together, car ran and drove but kept dying on me then it dawn on me what happened, pulled the valve cover installed new gaskets and pulled the plugs, some oil drained into the cylinder, but she started right up and ran for 5-10 minutes, dyed and now won't restart, it cranks but no fire, I changed nothing else and checked for spark, and I have spark off of #1. The hot oil ate the rubber boot at the end of the plug wire but the hard plastic cover is still in tack. Should I change plugs and wires and call it a day or is there something else i'm missing?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

What year? Up until sometime mid-90s there's a second set of seals further down in the sparkplug tubes. They're O-rings trapped by the camshaft bearing caps. So you have to remove the valve gear...

I've had plugs that fouled, but they looked real clean after I cleaned them up. Car wouldn't start but I was too stubborn to throw away those plugs. Eventually I put NEW plugs in & started right up.

Spark shorting-to-ground within the plug will look OK if you check spark using a timing light.

Hondas seem to like NGK plugs better than others, too.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I bought new wires and it suddenly started but now it won't run for more than a minute or 2, and once you hit the gas it dies, I looked for a pressure valve and didn't see one for the fuel rail, the plugs were exchanged with the old ones prior to the rebuild and still no luck, maybe cap & rotor or a clogged fuel filter?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Also the car is a 1993 accord 2.2, the fuel pump on this is it one you can hear once you turn the key forward?

Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Fuel pump isn't very loud, so you might have someone listen underneath in back. Or at the fuel fill pipe.

Key ON but don't immediately START.
Pump should run for 2 seconds then stop, together with audible relay near driver's left knee.