General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I need to change the alternator dunno the belts etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 09:26 PM
Default I need to change the alternator dunno the belts etc

Hi there I'm new here. I have an Accord 91 series 1 which has just recently done the alternator and battery, both of which I have replacement parts.
I perused the boards here but other than another thread on water pump and timing belt replacement there wasn't much info I needed. I also got the manual from hondahookup as I read about in another forum topic here but that didn't offer me the desired info either.
I took a couple of photos to show my dilemma in trying to swap over the alternators:

Is this job too much for spanners and sockets?

Attached Thumbnails I need to change the alternator dunno the belts etc-dsc00731_zpsgj5fwueq.jpg   I need to change the alternator dunno the belts etc-dsc00730_zpspqhyjbgk.jpg  
Old 02-25-2016, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

If you planning on just swapping the alternator and the two visible belts, then you just need sockets to do that job.

The timing belt is more involved and is hidden under that plastic cover behind the orange oil dipstick.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

You'll want to remove the steering pump, leave its hoses connected, & lay it off to the side. That way, I think you can manage to get the alternator out without disturbing the A/C compressor & hoses. If you manage to break that aluminum pipe for the AC (near the alternator), that'll turn it into a big expensive job.

Like PA said, if you need to do the timing belt & waterpump, that's a big job.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:59 PM

Thank you both for your input.
I'm not sure what I'm looking at exactly. Does the belt/do the belts come off with tensioners as it does with say the newer commodores (where one of the "wheels" provide a load to the belt and turning the cog with a tool releases the tension)? If not I'm stuck as to how to safely remove the belt/s or replace them with adequate tension; as I've never done this before (besides on the newer commodore) I'm thinking I might need a mechanic.
Thanks again.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Both of the external belts that you can see, will come off pretty easily. They don't have tensioner pulleys, but the PS pump & alternator each hinge to tighten their belts.

You might want to remove the cruise-control actuator which is between the PS pump and the windshield-washer fluid. Easy to remove & that'll give you more room to work.

My first picture shows the PS pump - that's the top pulley that is clearly seen in your photos. Loosen the top mounting bolt - it serves as a hinge.

The bottom mount for the PS pump has a slotted hole, and there's another long bolt (#17) that pulls the lower bolt outwards. Loosen the lower mount bolt, then loosen that #17 bolt to slacken the belt. You'll have to get the mount bolts all the way out, so you can place the PS pump out of the way.

My second picture shows the other belt around the alternator & AC compressor. The alternator should have a similar mount where one bolt is the hinge & the other is the adjuster. But I can't find a better picture of that.

Attached Thumbnails I need to change the alternator dunno the belts etc-1991-ps-pump.gif   I need to change the alternator dunno the belts etc-1991-engine-mounts.gif  
Old 02-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

When you put the alternator back on, you have to tighten the belt by rocking the alternator outwards then tighten the mount bolts. Feel the tension in the belts before taking it apart so you have something to judge the tension against.

PS pump also pulls outwards by that bolt (#17 in my first picture). Use that to apply tension then tighten the mounting bolts.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:09 PM

Hey, thanks heaps. I think I'll actually give this a go.