General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I need of a few reputable place to buy a used japan motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:27 AM
Default I need of a few reputable place to buy a used japan motor

Well it looks like someone got me good and sold me a 2001 honda accord with a 2.3 v-tec motor...The bad !!! The other day while driving it I blew a hose, pulled over, had a friend come help me put a new one one and noticed there was oil in the radiator res.Did some research and looks like it could be a few things.. Blown head gasket,poris block, cracked block !! Either way none of them are good.mad:. So it's lookin like I might need a new motor !! I've only had the car for two weeks and it was purchased of craigslist. Anyone no of a good place to get a used japan motor???

Old 02-16-2012, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Well hmotorsonline is known as the most reputable, but they cost a bit extra. tiger japanese is probably the biggest, but has mixed reviews.

From my experience buying a used engine from any online place is a gamble. They could easily have problems of their own.

I would first try to find out if yours is just a blown head gasket,, as that would be a lot cheaper and easier to replace than swapping in a new engine that might have its own problems.

You just have to remember all the engines from the distributors are pulled out of junkyard cars in japan, in almost all cases the seller has never seen them run, has no idea how many miles are on them, and usually just compression tests them.

If you are set on a new engine, I would check local junkyards first, it will probably be cheaper, you can usually see the car it came out of, know how many miles are on it, and usually come with a 90 day warranty. Most japanese engine importers just offer a start up warranty. You also know right where to bring it if you have a problem with it, and don't have to ship it back to Canada(tiger japanese)

Last edited by live2rice; 02-16-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

live2rice have you very sound advice.