General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need help removing gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Default i need help removing gas tank

ok so i have been smelling gas in my accord for a while now, no big deal right? well the check engine light finally came on and gave the code p1456. So i jack up my car this morning with the intention to drop the gas tank and take a look see at what was leaking and I can not figure out for the life of me how to drop this thing!

If anyone has instructions and maybe even pictures that would be great, or if you have other ideas let me know. I have 1998 4 dr v6 accord. also i did notice on the upper side of the tank what appears to be water marks so it seems as if something IS leaking and I need to get this fixed.

thanks

Old 09-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: i need help removing gas tank

Have you checked in the trunk for access ports to the tank? Some models have access ports to the fuel gauge and fuel pump. Some have only fuel gauge and some have both. You could have a leak around the gasket that seals these units that allows gas to escape during acceleration and deceleration. Also most of the connections to the tank can be accessed from these windows.

The basic procedure (94-97 Accord) is :

1) Raise car on jackstands at all 4 wheels for good access.
2) Drain tank (should be a plug in bottom), but best to run very low as it's messy to drain.
3) Through trunk release electrical connections to fuel tank (gauge and fuel pump power). Release ground connection. Feed the wire and connector ends into the access window and allow to lie on topside of the tank.
4)Release fuel supply/return lines and vapor recovery system connections to tank and fuel filler connections (fill and vent) to tank.
5) Release two straps that support the tank. Tank may stick due to rust or body corrosion coating on top of tank. Carefully pry down to release.
6) Catch tank on a box or small stool to allow handling. It is awkward.

A shop manual for your model would be very helpful. There are downloadable 94-97 Accord manuals which should provide good guidance, although your model could be different. Check all DIY posts for help also.

good luck

Old 09-26-2008, 03:20 PM

I recently did this on my 95 and it wasn't too bad. I would do like TexasHonda says first though and find the plate(s) under the carpet in the truck and see if you can tell anything first. Dropping the tank is tough but managable. I actually didn't drain mine. We were at about 1/4 and I was able to do it ok. I used a transmission jack to lower it slowly. There will be a number of hoses and wires that will have retaining clips you have to undo and then it should come down. Also, only undo the back bolts on the straps. It will make it much easier to get it back up in there. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:39 PM

ok all the instructions, including the ones listed here do not seem to help me. It seems as if they built the car around the gas tank. All the supports and "straps" if you will seem to be welded in place. The only bolts that i could take out look as if I would have to remove the whole rear end of the car, all the suspension and everything. I have found one panel for the fuel pump but it looks as if its fine (no sign of wetness). I will go and take some pics and get them up here so you can see what im talkin about.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:50 PM

A couple of points. First, unless someone has modified the car, the tank is removeable. You're missing something.

Second, the reason you're struggling is lack of information. Buy amanual. A Haynes for your model should be fine and will show you the key information you need.

good luck

Old 09-26-2008, 07:04 PM

The following links will take you to pictures from under the car of the gas tank. please take a look and tell me how the tank comes out.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h2...w/DSCN1476.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h2...w/DSCN1478.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h2...w/DSCN1480.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h2...w/DSCN1484.jpg

Old 09-26-2008, 07:18 PM

I looked at Autozone's website which has repair info for many models. Your's indicates it has same fuel tank arrangement as I described above. Are you possibly looking at the trunk well and not the fuel tank? Nothing looks like mine or the pics on Autozone's website. Check it out.

good luck

Old 09-26-2008, 07:30 PM

FREEZE!
P1456 means your gas cap is loose 99% of the time. this code means there is an evap leak on the tank side of the evap system, not the canister side. start with checking the gas cap is tight and there is no visual damage to the fuel fill tube.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:46 PM

ok it is not the trunk well that i was lookin at, deffinately the tank. I saw the autozone site and it was like everyone is saying with straps and bolts.... i have no bolted straps

with the gas cap thing, will the check engine light go out if i purchase a new cap and that fixes the problem or will i need to have it shut off and then see if it works?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:10 PM

most likely you, or someone else that drives the car, filled up on gas and left the gas cap loose. it may have since been tightened properly but the code remains. it will shut off but that can take many drive cycles. i'd suggest you tighten the gas cap at least 3 clicks then have autozone clear the code. if it recodes, start with a new honda gas cap and clear it again.

Quick Reply: i need help removing gas tank