General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I want to know about Accords...

Old 01-22-2008, 05:01 PM
AccordMX
Unregistered
Default I want to know about Accords...

Hi. I`m the owner of a Accord 94 LX with the 4 cilinder engine. Actually i don`t have any problems with the car (only details, like driver power window doesn`t work properly and else...) and i am thinking the car is strong in it`s manufacturing.

Well , i want to know everything about the car. Trust me, in the other cars my dad has i know enough about them, so feel free to point me some reading material.

I have some questions.

1.- I only had cars with timing chain. I noticed the accord has a timing belt. How often does it needs replacing?

2.- My car has the automatic tranny. Should i drive in D4 (i think this is the overdrive position) or D3 (is this direct drive?) in the city ?

3.- Is there a way to fix the "slowly moving power window problem" ?

4.- what`s the fuel capacity of the tank ? how much MPG should i expect from a normal city/highway driving ? (note, my car has 145xxx miles)

It is enough for now. Thank you guys.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default RE: I want to know about Accords...

idk how often, for the belts, but its simple observation, when the belts start to crack, they need to change, i have mines check at every oil change or other service..

D4 is the normal gear to drive in, and the most smoothest

3. i dont know

and the last question..does your car have a drivers manual? you can check that info in there if you have it..if not, i'm pretty sure, you can check online, or if anyone else who as your car model, you can ask them

hoped i helped a little..

Old 01-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

1) Timing belt should be replaced at 90K, 180K, 270K miles. Ifyou have purchased and can't verify T'belt work is done, you should perform that work to be sure. Accord 2.2L engine is interference engine and will damage valves and possibly pistons if T'belt breaks.

2) Drive in D4, it's a 4-speed w/ overdrive.

3) Clean the window guide channels carefully and apply small amount of silicon grease or silicon spray lube.

4) Fuel capacity is about 17 gallons. I've never put over 14+ in my Accord. My 94EX yields about 25-27 mpg in around town mixed freeway, urban driving. On highway it will yield 30+ mpg.

Look on ebay and find a 94 Accord owner's manual. Next, download the hondahookup 94-97 Accord Shop Manual for maintenance (see online manuals link in DIY section).

My 94EX has 217K and runs well. Only significant problem has been cylinder head gasket last year.

good luck

Old 01-22-2008, 07:00 PM

A few notes about your car.... it has a 17 gallon tank but will read empty when you've used 14 gallons, there's been lots of speculation on why honda designed it this way but no one knows for certain.

Window issues are fairly common, I think it's because the tracks are so exposed. There are write ups in the DIY section about cleaning the tracks and replacing the motor if need be.

Economy, I pulled 35 mpg on a 240 mile long trip by driving very cautiously but on average in town it's 25-30 depending on how much stop/go you do.

The most annoying thing I see happen with 94's is the speedometer stops working, sometimes you can slide your key in that slot to the lower left of the speedo (this is used to reset the "maintence reminder" at the bottom of the speedo) and that can get it working again. Although, sometimes it just needs to be replaced.

Overall the 94-97 accords were great cars and are one of my favorites. As TexasHonda mentioned there's free manuals here, free write-ups and more information than you probably want to know!

Weclome to the forum!