General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

<Idle Adjustment>

Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation <Idle Adjustment>

whats up everyone, quick question I cleaned out my throttle body today on my 2000 Honda Accord SE(very dirty) and now my car idles high(2k rpm steady in park)...anyone know what my base idle should be and how to turn it down??? Thanks for the help...

Old 05-20-2009, 02:54 PM

Pretty sure there's a idle adjusting guide on this forum, also a manual will cover that. That's kind of high for just cleaning the throttle, you just removed the booth and sprayed/wiped it? Anything left unplugged in that area?

Old 05-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well i got a new tranny put in and they adjusted my idle cause they said it was idling low...now that everything is working and clean the idle is even higher then it was....so now its at 2k in park

Old 05-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

From your other thread, it's a 4-cyl, right? And you cleaned the IACV? Or am I confused....?

Who set the idle & did they know Honda's way of doing things?

Here's the basics of how to adjust base idle:
First things first - check ALL these things.
1) Throttle cable MUST go slack. That is NEVER used to adjust idle.
2) Mechanical stop screw on throttle cable drum should only just prevent the throttle from wedging stuck. That is not for adjusting idle.
3) Find & fix ALL vacuum leaks.
4) Bleed ALL air out of cooling system. Really. That can confuse the idle control system.

Now... run the engine up to full operating temperature. Turn off all loads like A/C, headlights, etc.

Unplug the wire from the IACV, on the back of the intake manifold. The engine should almost stall. (Well, YOURS might still be high...)

Above the bore of the throttlebody is a needle valve. Recessed into a hole, it takes a flat-blade screwdriver. Adjust for 550 rpm. If the cooling fan comes on, you may need to use the throttle to keep it running, then finish adjusting when the fan's not running.

Turn it off. Plug the IACV back in. Let it cool down. Reset the ECU by pulling fuse #13 in the right-side end of the dashboard (near the passenger door hinges). That's for 98-02, other years probably different fuse number, or disconnect the battery.

After it cools down, start the engine WITHOUT TOUCHING THE GAS PEDAL. Let it idle to warm up without touching the gas pedal. This forces the ECU to re-learn the behavior of the idle control system.

Here's a picture. #1 is the idle-air needle valve. #9 is the IACV.

Last edited by JimBlake; 05-20-2009 at 04:05 PM.