General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle problem: needle goes up and down on it own.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Default Idle problem: needle goes up and down on it own.

I recently started noticing that when I put the car in P it doesn't idle normal, instead it starts to accelerate uu and down by itslef, It was happening only when in P, but now when I'm driving the car and I let go of the gas pedal for a moment, it will do it sometimes too. I have already cleaned the Idle control valve with spray cleaner, it didn't do much, Today I went to get a new ($250) Idle control valve, put it in, had to buy 2 feet of hose to replace the original 2 hoses which were pretty much melted and toasty and when It was all said and done, it did the same exact thing.

Related problems: I don't know if this is related, since last night the car also also revs to number 3, and i Hear the engine making noise to work harder, but I'm only going about 15-20 miles an hour and it wouldn't shift like normal, a problem I've been having with the cra is that the D4 light blinks sometimes, I'm about to take out 2 quaters of tranny oil and add some Lucas tranny fluid for slippage.
Any suggestions I'd appreciate, I'm not an extremely good mechanic but at times I can hold my own.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Also check/clean the FITV. Look for a thread on that, or search for "FITV".