General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Driving along, then it shut down on it's own

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Default Driving along, then it shut down on it's own

As the title says, on the GFs 90 Accord LX. checked fuel filter, good no restriction, full oil. Now the motor cranks over, tries to start, will start, if the key is held over to the "start" position. As soon as the key is released the motor dies.
My thoughts were possibly fuel pump went out, but the filter was pressured up and full of fuel. I have heard that newer cars have an oil pressure safety switch, could be this?
The local carquest parts guy thinks the ignition switch went bad, any body concur? or have any other Ideas like bad relays or fuses. BTW I did check all the fuses in the engine compartment, all looked good. Where might I find possible sensor, fuses and relays that could be the problem? Now after thinking about it, the key switch sounds like could be the problem, it is like the ignition is cut off when the key is released from start.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your symptoms are classic for failing ignition switch assy, a very common Honda problem.

Fortunately a very easy fix. New switch is about $50 and 1/2 hr replacment time. Check DIY forum for procedure to replace.

Also check youtube for videos for "honda ignition switch" for support. Some very good videos on this subject.

good luck