General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle vibration in new 2013 accord ex auto cvt 4 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:52 AM
Default idle vibration in new 2013 accord ex auto cvt 4 cylinder

I recently bought 2013 accord. From the first day, I feel vibration on steering, dashboard, driver seat when the car is stopped at traffic light . I can feel the vibration on drive/reverse gear and more during cold start in the morning. Neutral appears fine
What can be the reason and how to fix it.

2013 Accord Ex 4 cylinder cvt

Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know how the CVT changes things, but the 4-cyl automatic would have one engine mount that's vacuum-operated. It gets soft during idling in gear.

That would be a warranty thing, for a new car. See if the dealer will let you test-drive another CVT car to see if it's the same.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:48 PM

I had reported this issue to the dealer service guy over phone and he suggested as:

1. They had filled it with oxgeynated/winter gas. So I should wait till it gets over.

So does winter/oxy fuel cause such issue?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Just me and don't take this the wrong way. I call "BS" on that answer, are you going to deal with the issue every winter, I think not.

Take it in and be sure to have the issue documented.

Also ask, as Jim stated, to see/drive another Accord of the same model.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Where are you located? Most places that get cold, have been required by federal law to use winter-blend fuel for quite a few years now. Mainstream carmakers have known about that for probably over 10 years. That sounds like dealer BS to me.

Just for fun, you might call Honda USA (are you in USA?); phone# is probably in your owners manual. Ask em if that's really caused by winter fuel.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 PM

I am located in san jose where temperature varies in 46 to 60 F now-a-days.
The problem is more severe when the car sits for hours in the parking lot and then I start driving and do traffic stops within one mile of drive, the idle vibration is not in acceptable range(clearly we can feel on dashboard, steering , hand rest, and driver seat).

After more than 2 miles of drive and then traffic stop, the vibration is not severe(may be a random behaviour).

The dealer service guy asked me to drive 100 miles, fill gas couple of times(I am not sure why is it required)

Old 02-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe the dealer is handing out that line if SanJose just recently requires winter-blend gasoline. Those of us who have the fun of real winters, we've had winter-blend fuel for years. And Honda engineers have known about it for quite awhile.

So beyond that, I've never had a CVT. Do they require some kind of break-in before they get smooth? I really have no idea about that.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by newHondaUser
I recently bought 2013 accord. From the first day, I feel vibration on steering, dashboard, driver seat when the car is stopped at traffic light . I can feel the vibration on drive/reverse gear and more during cold start in the morning. Neutral appears fine
What can be the reason and how to fix it.

2013 Accord Ex 4 cylinder cvt
I have the same issue with my 2013 cvt. I plan on taking it to the dealer next week. I have just under 2000 miles on it. Seat vibrations start while at a red light and when engine is warm and rpms drop below 1, park and neutral are fine.

Last edited by HS1330; 11-06-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Default 2013 idle vibration update

I took my sport back to the dealer and they confirmed the vibration when RPMs drop below 750. Here is what we tried: idle reset, which is idling the car in drive until the fan cycles on and off two times. This did not resolve the issue. They then replaced two mounts, 1 motor and 1 transmission, this also did not resolve the issue. I plan on taking it back again to see what else can be done. I know if you turn the head lights or run the AC it will put enough load on the engine to cause the RPMs to go just above 750 and the idle becomes smooth. The dealer however does not want to change the idle speed as it would most likely change the gas mileage.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Winter blend fuel in CA at least you get a little worse mileage due to the increased ethanol but that doesnt explain the vibration. Mine only has 5700 on it and I havent noticed any vibrations on mine but in reading reviews on the car at Edmunds the issue does exist. Hopefully there will be a tsb/recall repair for it. If I were you I would think about a different service center definitely bs

Quick Reply: idle vibration in new 2013 accord ex auto cvt 4 cylinder