General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I'm starting to get discouraged.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default I'm starting to get discouraged.

Its gotten to the point on my car where I don't even know what to do next. I swapped to a F20B in my 97 ex. I got it running, however it did not run smooth. It would power up and power down fine, however at idle or holding it at constant RPMs it would run real rough backfiring and such. It also is running very rich with a cloud of exhaust fumes coming out the exhaust.

I have rotated the distributor as far as it will go advanced and retarded and it doesn't seem to make a difference what so ever. I have checked the timing belt several times and it doesn't appear to be off. The only CEL it is throwing it a TPS sensor, which the TPS appears to be broken. But I have driven a car with a broken TPS sensor before without issue.

While it was running one time it suddenly died, no real signs, just kinda shut off. And I haven't been able to get it running again. It will start and then die again. After having to push it back into the garage I have given up for the day. The only thing I can possibly think of is maybe the timing set by the ECU is just off.

Can you offer me any help HAF?

Old 05-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

What car does the F20B engine come from?

When my TPS went bad, I just unplugged it and my car ran ok. Unplugging it would help eliminate the TPS signal to the ECU as your problem.

If the car is refusing to fire up, use a timing light on the spark plug wire to see if enough spark is generated to flash the timing light.

I would also pull off the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator. If you get a strong smell of gasoline, then the FPR diaphragm is likely torn and gas is being sucked into the intake.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

F20B is out of an Accord Toreno from Japan. Its near identical to a H22 except for it being a 2.0l.

I have also tried unplugging the TPS and that didnt seem to make a difference.

I will try the timing light and FPR