General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside knob to lock door doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Inside **** to lock door doesn't work

Hi,
the little **** that locks the door doesn't go down automatically anymore (when I push the button in the car, nor when I use the keys to lock it remotely) it tries to go down a little bit, but doesn't go all the way and thus doesn't work.

Is there any way how I can fix this myself?

P. s.: it works when I either turn the key manually in the door or manually push it downwards

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

What year, model, etc.. accord are you driving?

Old 10-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry, totally forgot to mention that

It's a 2003 coupe v6 stickshift, fully loaded.

Btw later on today, it started working a little bjt better again, nonetheless after a few tries it started to be stuck again. I'd say now it works "so so".

Old 10-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Which side is not working properly?

It may be the power door lock actuator, more specifically the motor inside the actuator. An actuator is generally just a motor with gears. Probably the brushes are worn out in the motor.

This link has instructions on door panel removal, testing the actuator, and door latch removal. For your generation Accord, I believe the door latch together with the actuator needs to be remove out of the door first, then you can remove the actuator. To remove the latch, you will probably need an impact driver to remove the 3 large screws which hold the latch at the door frame (you can see the 3 screws at the side of the door when you open it).

"http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=147391&postcount=1"

On some previous generation Accords, the actuator by itself can be removed without removing the latch, as the screws holding the actuator to the latch were readily accessible. However, for your generation Accord, I believe the screws that hold it to the latch are at a different angle, so they cannot be access without first removing the latch with the actuator together.

Honda list price for the actuator is $54.75, discount prices via online Honda dealership is around $40.08 plus shipping. I like Bernardi Honda Parts; but, there are others.

If it is the actuator, you can always try just ordering the Mabuchi motor located inside the actuator and replace that. Search youtube regarding just replacing the motor. People have done that on their later Accords, Lexus, etc.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-27-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

it seems like it is the one on the left...
thank you so much, I will look into that
I hope I will figure it out, considering that I do not have that much experience with cars myself.

also, I was wondering, what does it mean when the MAINT' REQ'd icon is blinking when I start the car? (yellow, stops blinking after a little while and isn't on anymore after that)

my car has 119k miles (I have just had an oil change 2000 miles ago)

Old 10-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

The driver side actuator part number should be Honda part number 72155-S5P-A11. You might want to double-check before you purchase though. It might be held on to the latch with plastic clips instead of screws.

The maintenance required indicator is mileage driven. Follow the recommended service interval as specified in the owner's manual. If services were complete, you can reset it. It's just a reminder based on mileage.

2006-07 and 2008-2012 Accords had maintenance minders which had actual programming logic to monitor oil, I don't believe your year has this.

Attached Thumbnails Inside knob to lock door doesn't work-maintenance-required-indicator.jpg   Inside knob to lock door doesn't work-maintenance-required-indicator-description.jpg  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

what do you guys think I need to change that part? I already bought it, but I want to make sure I have all the tools to change it myself..

any ideas/suggestions on the job? what to look out for and how to do it?

Old 02-05-2012, 02:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies

someone??

Old 02-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

In the link by Redbull, it looks like everything you need to know. Again, if the latch screw have to come out, an impact driver really helps