General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed amp and car won't start... PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Default Installed amp and car won't start... PLEASE HELP!!

Hey. So I have a manual 2000 Accord coupe 4 cyl EX. I was attempting to install a Kenwood amp and dual sub set in my car today with a factory head unit. I disconnected the battery, installed the fuse port (without the fuse connected) on the power wire, ran the power wire from the battery through the firewall to the trunk, connected the ground wire to a sanded piece of the chassis, and ran the remote wire to the starter signal (i believe) fuse on the driver side fuse panel. From there i hooked the battery back up and when i went to put the power wire fuse in, the fuse sparked. I stopped, disconnected the negative charge on the battery, put the fuse in, and connected the battery. Then sat in the car and tried to turn it on, but the car wouldn't start.

The car goes through the first two ignition phases fine. When you turn the key to the second click, the lights, A/C, windows, etc. works fine, but when you go to turn the car on it's completely quiet.

I assumed i popped on of the fuses when it sparked, but I've checked all the fuses in both the fuse box under the hood, and the right and left interior boxes multiple times, and completely disconnected the power and remote wire from the battery. Is there some secondary ignition fuse I'm missing?? I'm completely lost and my car is dead in the water. Sorry this is so long, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 12-28-2011, 12:58 PM

I've also cleaned, examined, and tightened the battery terminals...as well as attempt to jump that car to start it. No luck on either front. In both instances the car won't start and is completely quiet when you turn the key...

Old 12-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Check that you are getting 12V to the small wire going to the starter when you turn the key to the start position. If that is missing, you will have to work backwards to figure out what is going on.