General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing front crankshaft seal

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Installing front crankshaft seal

My Chilton says to pack the inside of seal with grease to keep the spring from popping out during install. Should a guy put any grease or oil on the outside to make it easier driving the seal in or put any oil/grease on the inside edge of the seal where it sits around the crank or just leave it dry?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'd "lube" the crank and the lip of the seal....and have. And a thin lube of the outside of the seal won't hurt.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Default How far to drive in?

I just replaced all my seals with a timing belt job and now i have a leak. From what I can tell it is not coming from the front balance shaft or camshaft. I see it being sprayed from the crank behind the timing gears.

Sounds like a no-brainer for the crankshaft seal, but is it possible for any other source to leak onto the crank and be thrown from the spinning shaft??

I am not sure what went wrong with the seal install.. I used a new Beck Arnley seal, greased it and drove it in straight. I drove it flush with the case/oil cover, should it have been driven deeper?

I am going to pick up a genuine honda seal and try again.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

There is an o-ring behind the rear balance shaft gear case that can leak oil. There are only three shaft seals under the timing belt cover, one for the front balance shaft, camshaft, and crankshaft. Did you instal the front balance shaft seal retainer?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:19 PM

I replaced the rear seal and I can visually see that the cam and front balance shaft are not leaking. I have the motor idling without the timing covers on. Can't quite see the rear shaft but seal is new oem and installed well.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Default Errr!!! tips to remove the current seal

Well the leaking new seal is not cooperating like the original. With the original, i was able to drive a small screwdriver under the outer platic coating and pop the seal. it was almost like magic. on the new seal the covering just rips off.

I get the idea with a seal puller, but that kind of expects that there is some reasonble gap between the shaft and the steel inner guts of the seal. The crank seal looks like a giant thick washer with a very small seal. The distance between the steel and the shaft is very small.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to remove this seal short of drilling through the outer edge and inserting a screw to use for leverage? Also should the new seal be driven in flush with the case or below?

Gonna try again tomorrow...thanks for the suggestions

Old 02-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Default Got some answers for my own questions

i just watched a u-tube video where a guy got the seal out by driving a small screwdriver between the seal and the case and then used the screwdriver to pry the seal out. This kind of makes sense because he said he could use silicone to repair the sealing surface on the outer part of the new seal if he damaged the case, but there is no repairing the seal if the crank is damaged.

Also after taking out the old seal it seemed pretty obvious that the seal will bottom out at a certain point, so you cannot drive it in too deep, only not drive it in completely.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 PM

necesito manual de instalacion de faja de distribucion honda accort 2005 motor f20 les agradesco por adelantado atte,jose garcia

Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

When a guy gets the timing belt off will the two belt guides and the lower timing belt pulley just slide off the crank exposing the crank seal or is there something else that will need to be unbolted in order to get to the seal?

Thanks

Old 02-02-2012, 03:22 PM

I have a 96 accord EX 4 cyl. In my setup, there is a timing belt and a balance shaft belt. The crank pulley turns two accessory drive belts, one for power steering and the other a/c and alternator.

After you get the 150ftlb nut off the crank pulley, that should easily slip off the crankshaft. Mine is kind of loose when not torqued down. If you haven't taken that off yet, it can be a bear. I was successful using a technique in my repair manual of wedging a screwdriver in the flywheel gear (Automatic Transmission) and having a helper turn the nut with a pretty long breaker bar. Since I have done this a couple of times, I picked up a pry bar set from Harbor Freight and with teh use of that and a tie down strap I am able to make it a one man job !!
Sorry for the sidebar

Once the crank pulley is off, you have the timing belt gears exposed. The toothed wheels for the timing belts and the crank sensor "large washer" right next to the case are all one piece. I removed my belts by loosening the bolt holding down the idler pulleys (14mm) and pushing back the idlers to remove tension.

The manual said to drive a large screwdriver gently between thet sensor washer behind the gears and the case. I did it from the top and with a little pressure and pry it popped loose and was able to be slid off. Actually the crank sensors and metal wire protector under the crank must be removed for the gears to slide off. The crank sensors had four 10 or 12 mm bolts.

Now you can see the crank seal and you should have good access through the wheel well. Check out u-tube to see how the guy took one off using a hammer and screwdriver. Worked well for me.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Installing front crankshaft seal