General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

intake tightening sequence and torque

Old 12-26-2018, 11:53 PM
Default intake tightening sequence and torque

new to the forum and first post.

good youtube vids gave me the courage to remove the intake on my 02 accord 2.3 4 cylinder to clean of deposits and hopefully fix the PO401 code, The gasket looked plenty good so I didn't replace it--------many of the vid makers say no need to if it comes off cleanly. Now I have it back on and realized none of the numerous vid makes even mentioned bolt tightening sequence and torque which id guess is very important. Can anyone advise

on front of the intake a bolt in center with nuts on 2 studs on each ends,,,,,,,,, on the back side are 2 bolts.

any insight on the process to reattach this intake is appreciated.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by yabadabadoo View Post
new to the forum and first post.

good youtube vids gave me the courage to remove the intake on my 02 accord 2.3 4 cylinder to clean of deposits and hopefully fix the PO401 code, The gasket looked plenty good so I didn't replace it--------many of the vid makers say no need to if it comes off cleanly. Now I have it back on and realized none of the numerous vid makes even mentioned bolt tightening sequence and torque which id guess is very important. Can anyone advise

on front of the intake a bolt in center with nuts on 2 studs on each ends,,,,,,,,, on the back side are 2 bolts.

any insight on the process to reattach this intake is appreciated.
Are you asking about joining the top of the plenum to the lower intake manifold? All of the bolts and nuts are torqued to 16 FT lbs, or 22-Nm. There's no sequence listed for it or the lower half in the FSM, but I usually start in the center and work my way out (the IM, or EM) or like doing lug nuts (crossing hatching them (X pattern)).
I hope this helps.
Edit; start with the center bolt, then pick a rear corner, then go to the other corner (1 of the nuts), then do the other rear corner, then finally the last corner (the other nut).

Last edited by The Toecutter; 12-27-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:29 PM

don't use old gaskets. you'll soon discover that they leak and have to do the job again.