General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intermitant starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 03:23 PM
Default Intermitant starting issues

Hey Guy's my son has 98 Accord V-tech 5spd that has 225k. The car is new to him (it's his 1st) and we are going through it to get it as reliable as my 96 which has 250k and is driven 100 plus miles a day. Anyway he has an intermitant no start issue. Every once in a while the car just cranks it can be warm or cold it just won't start. There are no codes so I don't have any idea what the issue can be. I have been poking around in his Manuel and the only thing that stuck out was the crank shaft sensor. Can this be going on him? I have not been around when this happens otherwise I would have checked for fuel and spark. I'm waiting to get the call (I'm stuck Pop) and with my luck it will be at night and it will be COLD! This condition does not last very long then it starts and has no more issues?
Any thought on the issue would be appriciated!
Thanks

Old 01-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Ask your son to listen for fuel pump each time he starts car by first turning keyswitch to On and listening carefully for fuel pump to come on for 2-3 secs and go off.

If he doesn't hear the fuel pump when no-start occurs; either main fuel relay or sticking fuel pump.

If fuel pump is heard and a no-start occurs, then loss of spark is likely. It could be ignitor, coil, or possibly faulty ignition switch assy (no power to distributor).

good luck

Old 01-16-2015, 09:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by schoust
Hey Guy's my son has 98 Accord V-tech 5spd that has 225k. The car is new to him (it's his 1st) ...
I have not been around when this happens otherwise I would have checked for fuel and spark. I'm waiting to get the call (I'm stuck Pop) and with my luck it will be at night and it will be COLD! ...
Thanks
Well, I'd give him a head lamp & spare spark plug so when this happens
he can yank the wiring and check that all plugs have spark.

Headlamps work great for after dark road no-go issues, except maybe
need to tell him to turn lamp off when looking for the spark. Best.