General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intermittent A/C

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Intermittent A/C

Having a problem that just started today. When my wife was driving home from work, the A/C quit blowing then came back on intermittently every few seconds. Then it finally shut off altogether, so she turned it off. After ten minutes or so she tried it again, and it came back on and worked normally the rest of the way home. When not blowing, the display still showed 'A/C ON'. I do not know if the whole system shut off (compressor, fans, etc), or just the blower. I checked it after I got home and it seems to be functioning normally. I cannot reproduce the problem. The controls, display and A/C system seem to be functioning normally.

What do you think? Loose connection? I really don't know where to start on this one. Mechanical things I'm good at (just put a new transmission in the car myself last month...) -- but A/C is not my bag (especially when it's electronically controlled!)

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Old 08-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Just looking at a Honda parts exploded view online...anybody know what the function of the thermistor is in the A/C system? Anything to do with blower motor function?

The car's interior was very hot when my wife got in to drive home. It had been parked outside all day in the Florida heat. It cooled off as she drove home...with all the windows down, then after a while the A/C worked fine. Now the car's parked in the garage and the A/C is still working... Maybe the thermistor is bad?

Thinking out loud...

Old 08-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Was air of any temperature blowing out of the vents, or did that stop?

You may also be able to get HVAC error codes. Just look at HondaDude's post in this thread.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=31892

Old 08-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No air blowing. Like the A/C shut off. But the "A/C ON" display was still lit, so IDK if the whole system shut off, compressor, fans, etc, or just the blower was acting up.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

OK, I just ran the diagnostic, twice with the engine off and the system was OK. I tried it with the engine running and it seemed to work, but after it was done, all the LCD segments related to the A/C were blinking except:

The drivers side temperature setting displays 88 when all segments are lit; the lower segment of the right 8 remained constant lit while all other segments slowly blinked over and over again.

The blower also quit working during the diagnostic. If I turn the car off, restart the engine, and turn the air on, I can hear the compressor engage for a couple seconds, then the display goes from "A/C ON" to A/C OFF". I can turn it back on, but nothing happens...until I turn the engine off and back on again, and the cycle repeats.

Now 25 minutes later...started the car and the A/C works normally. Run the diagnostic again (with engine on) and shows no error codes. Turn car off and back on, turn A/C on, no blower. Gonna try again shortly...

Another 15 minutes later...A/C works again. Not going to run the diagnostic again. Maybe it will keep working. *crosses fingers*

Last edited by mitsudave; 08-17-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

You will have to check to see if the a/c compressor clutch is shutting down when the blower stops working.

You should try that HVAC test Hondadude posted.

You will count the defrost light blinks to figure out the code. 1 blink =1, 2=2, etc...

Old 08-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I did the test hondadude posted...that was the 'diagnostic' I was referring to. The only thing that was blinking was the entire A/C LCD display except the one segment of that number 8 which was constantly lit...no other lights blinked, not the defrost light, not the engine light, nothing else.

The compressor is shutting down without the blower working. The compressor will engage for a couple seconds then the system shuts down and will not come back on until I turn the key off and restart the engine.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

After searching the forums and internets with great scrutiny, I believe I am going to try replacing the blower resistor. The cheapest place I can find it is actually a dealer parts website...believe it or not. It's $20 more at the local parts houses.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry about the previous post. I had typed my post then forgot to submit it. You posted your answer, and I didn't realize it.

The acura tsx manual has the 88 description. It says a problem in the blower motor circuit.

That part you want to replace is technically a transistor. Someone one here posted how they fixed the part, and you could try if you are good with a soldering iron.

If not, then you can replace that part.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Let us know if that solves the problem.

Quick Reply: Intermittent A/C