General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

intermittent heater

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default intermittent heater

Hey all,

I have an issue with my heater and I needed some advice. My blower will intermittently stop working. When it first started, it would not work when I first started the car. Sometimes it would start working during that drive and other times it wouldn't work until the next time I started the car. I initially thought it was the resister so I took the blower out and replaced the resister. My heater worked for a week without issues and then would not turn on at all. I have just removed the blower housing again and as soon as I removed it, it started working. When everything is assembled in the car, there is a slight ticking sound that can be heard when the heater is on and I can't tell if it's my imagination, but it doesn't feel as strong. The tick is harder to detect when the housing is removed and it seems to be strong when testing on the floorboard. My question is would a blower motor have intermittent issues or could I be looking at an electrical problem? Also, would the slight ticking be an indication of a future problem?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

What year/model accord are you driving?

When the blower stops working, hit the motor housing under the dash. Does this get the motor to turn back on?

Old 03-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It's a 1990 Accord.

Sorry for the delay, I had to wait for it to fail again. I've left my glove compartment out so I have access. The blower failed again and I tried fiddling with the wires (did not help) and hitting the housing. Once I hit the housing, it started working.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Blower motor brushes are worn and loose. Thumping dash reseats them temporarily and blower will run. A new blower motor is solution.

Suggest downloading a shop manual from Online Manuals post in DIY forum.

Procedure to replace blower is not simple but do-able. The ECU/TCU module must be rotated out of way (vertical) and blower module must be rotated (about horizontal axis) to remove as you lower. I did this years ago in a 90 Accord.

A new motor is available on ebay for $50.

1990 Honda Accord in Blower Motors | eBay~-~-

good luck

Old 03-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Awesome. Thank you for the info and the link. I have removed the blower housing a couple of times while trying to pinpoint it and I was wondering if I was going to be able to get the blower wheels off of the motor. I really appreciate that link. You just saved me time AND money.