General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Default Issues

Hello All,

I have a few issues I would like opinions on:

My accord is a really nice car and does well overall. It is approaching 200,000 miles and right now it has 196,445 on it now. The following are a few issues I have and the first one is the air conditionor. Itworks great, but the freon only lasts about 2 months or so before needing a recharge. The compressor kicks in like it should and runs great. Does anyone know where the systems commonly leak from or what to look for? The second issue is I was wondering if this needed, but I just payed 100 dollars to get my transmissions flushed. Is this necessary? I know there is about 6.82 quarts inside the transmission, but I did see a thread here for just needing to drain it and refill it with onlyrequiring 3 quarts. Is that thread true and do I really need to flush it? The third issue I have is with the 200,000 mile service. What should I look for and what can I do myself and what would need to be done at the shop? The fourth issue is my rack and pinion on my car has the driver side boot ripped on it and the weird thing is that it only leaks when it is cold and since it is warm out now it does not leak anymore. Does anyone know if I need to replace the rack or I can just replace the boot and why does the rack only leak when it is cold? I have performed all necessary maintinence like oil changes and fluid flushes and regular tire rotations. Thanks all in advance for your responses. If there is anything else you can add that might need to be replaced at 200k, please let me know.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Default RE: Issues

Bueller, Bueller...Anyone, Anyone.....

Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

AC
You should find the leak instead of just refilling it again & again. Find some refrigerant with dye in it. Condensor damage from stones is on possibility. Also check transitions from rubber hose to metal tubing. I don't know what would be most likely, but you'll need to find YOUR leak.

Tranny
Honda auto trannys don't get along with power-flushing. Just drain & fill with genuine Honda ATF (seems to actually make a difference). You only get 1/3 or so, because the torque converter doesn't drain. SoIF it's dirty & nasty you drain/fill it several times. IF they used some generic Dexron you probably should get it out of there.

I don't know what's up for that mileage - look in owner's manual. Timing belt every 90k miles, so I hope you know when it was last done. Probably spark plugs & adjust valve lash? Get new fresh brake fluid & antifreeze every 2 years regardless of miles.

Rack boot
There's only supposed to be air in there, so the PS fluid leaking isn't normal even for a torn boot. Probably need internal seals - or a rebuilt rack. PS fluid has to be Honda. Couple places make compatible fluid, but it HAS TO say "FOR HONDA" on the bottle. Anything that says 'all makes' is NOT for Honda.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:54 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

k so the tranny doesnt need to be flush but jim is right about the fluid. it has to be genuine honda atf z1 3 quarts.

the rack will ultimately need to be replaced but as long as the car steers you can put it off. metal and other things expand relative to its temperature so now that it is hot things are sealed up better. only use honda ps fluid you will ruin the system fast.

ac has a leak so it will need to be found and fixed. most likely place for a leak is at a connection. possible places are at the compressor, the condenser, or the evaporator.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:23 PM

Well since I got the transmission flushed. It is operating very sluggishly. When I put it in drive I hear a HUGE thud when it goes into gear and then I have to wait a few secondsfor it to kick into gear and I havedecided to take it back to Jiffy Lube to have them reflush it with Honda atfz1 or give me my money back to I can take it to honda to have them change it. What do you guys think? Thanks for your responses.