General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Lullapalooza
Unregistered
Default Issues with Brake Lights

I have an 02 Accord Coupe.

Today, the "Brake Lamp" indicator went off on the dashboard, and so I looked into the problem by myself. I put one of my massive biology textbooks on the brake and went to the back of the car to check it out. Sure enough, only one light was lit up.

But then, when I turned the headlights on, something weird happened. You know how when you are driving at night, you turn on the headlights and automatically your tail lights go on. Then when you hit the brake, your tail lights become brighter. For me, the tail light went on, but when hitting the brake, it did not bright up as much as the other one.

So, I'm thinking that it's not the bulb itself, but rather something with the wiring of the car? Is that a fair assessment? How much would something like this cost to fix from my local Honda dealer?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

It might be something as simple at the contacts of the bulb are worn or not seating properly.

It might be worth the $5 to put in two new bulbs.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Lullapalooza
Unregistered

Thanks for your input. Do you recommend I take it to my dealer, or to a local mechanic? I have a bumper to bumper warantee on the car with a $100 deductible. Even if it is a wiring problem, would it cost more or less than $100?

If I'm spending a lot of money, I'd obviously prefer to take it to my dealer.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

First, replace the bulb. There's 2 separate filaments in those bulbs, so as far as the wiring's concerned, it's like 2 separate bulbs. One filament (taillamps) is OK, but the other (brakelamp) is not.

If it brightens up a little bit (but not enough) still replace the bulb. That 'brake lamp' warning is based on the wattage matching from side-to-side. Occasionally people have to replace all the bulbs just so they match each other.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:46 AM

As JimBlake said - the brake lamps are dual filament - the filament that lights up when you press the brakes is broken (on the side you don't see it get brighter).. replace the bulb and you'll be set.