General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've got a leak. (MPG)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Default RE: I've got a leak. (MPG)

[/quote]

I meant the 26mpg to mean that it confirms I am getting bad mpg, not what I had before. Sorry to confuse you.

[/quote]

So what were you getting before? I don't get great mileage on my Accord. I used to get 25 routinely and consistently (city/commuting) since new, but it has dropped to 23 consistently. In my case, I believe this is due to a combination of:

1) I moved from the NE to Houston; A/C runs all year now
2) Gas in Houston all has ethanol, up North it was added seasonally
3) Bought new tires shortly after I moved, so believe they are probably contributing.
4) Changed to 10w-30 oil from 5W.
5) Commute is different, more stoplights and higher speeds so have to accelerate up to 50 or so, then down to zero at light, etc.

Or maybe I'm rationalizing. Best of luck finding a job.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:53 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Well, I usually get about 31 mpg with the air on intermittenly on the highway/interstate. Dont know in town, but I just can tell shes drinking more then she used to.

I am going to try the SeaFoam and see if I see any leaks.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:59 PM

Have you checked your connection from the headers to the exhaust system itself? Those donut style washers can go bad....

Old 09-10-2007, 04:04 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Hmmm...I never even thought about that.

I will check though for any white smoke coming out of there.
Thanks

Old 09-10-2007, 04:10 PM

You could do the simple tinfoil test around it pretty easily too... i've seen more than one story of those loosening up or getting moved etc when it's a fairly new install....

Old 09-10-2007, 04:32 PM

I think what he's getting at is that the exhaust leak is diverting air away from the O2 sensor, causing false readings back to the ECM: it will see a lean mixture and it will up the fuelto compensate, causing reduced MPG. Easy enough to confirm with a scan tool if you check fuel trims and injector pulse width.Some of the exhaust gases will choose the path of least resistance, out the leak rather than through the backpressure of the cat/mufflers.

Never seen seafoam take out an o2 sensor. I suppose it's possible but unlikely. Seafoam is simply a consumer version of the "top engine cleaner" that Mopar, GM and others sell. It's a modern, high tech version of the way we used to do it in the stone age: water or coolant!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:33 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

^Yup, that is exactly what I mean!

Hmmm, alright well I will have to jack it up and test it out. And the donut is right where the header goes into the catalyic convertor about an inch or so, right? Tnanks!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Be careful what you use as sealant on the exhaust. Silicon is usually a bad poison for O2 sensors. Besides, I've always done OK with new exhaust gaskets & no sealant.

Locate the leak first, then think about how to fix it.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:08 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Yeah.

I have fixed one gasket leak with the silicone already and it hasnt affect the second o2 sensor. Not all that much is being used anyways. Forgot to mention, is that usually with a header or headers the flange will slightly warp from the heat, thus creating a leak.

Today, I will be using the SeaFoam, I am pretty sure, so yup! I think I am going to take a pic so you guys can tell me where the brake booster line is. I will be looking for the white smoke escaping from any holes.

To use the seaofoam, I am very slowly going to let it suck up a little at a time so I dont hydrolock the engine, then when it has used 1/3 I will shut off the eninge

Thne I will put 1/3 in the gas tank and 1/3 where the oil goes. (Is it ok to leave it in there? I am planning on changing my oil Saturday or Sunday.)

Does that sound right?

Old 09-13-2007, 01:30 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

^In reference to my previous post I just posted, here are the pics. I think the main hose in the first one is the brake booster line

Also, if I put it in the brake booster line, it will get in all the cylinders correct? And which side of the hose do I want to put it in?Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/C5B0FD50E218434FBF9956077EB718B6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/9E78361F85404ADAA60268578202BA65.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: I've got a leak. (MPG)