General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JHB-(89 lx-i)-2.2-MT

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Default JHB-(89 lx-i)-2.2-MT

Good morning everyone...I've owned my stock '89 2dr sedan for ten years now and one question stays on my mind: it has always had a bit of a body lean to the driver's side. This condition remains even after all of the suspension parts have been replaced. An old-school alignment man once told me it could be chassis twist. I do not believe the car has ever been hit hard. Any theories out there? Thanks...John

Old 06-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Springs not equal length or seated correctly. It may be possible to install a shim underneath spring to correct height.

good luck

Old 06-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure if the 89 is like this, but another possibility is the inboard pivot bushings on the lower arms. Rather than a bearing, the rubber bushing flexes to allow the arm to move.

If you tighten the arm in place with the car up on stands, then the action of that bushing adds to the "spring" of that side. Then it can be uneven from side to side.

Also, don't forget to check for uneven ground. Instead of a chassis-twist, maybe at the rear wheels the ground slopes one way & at the front it slopes the other. My garage floor is like that because of the slope down to the drain.