General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

To Junk or Not to Junk?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Default To Junk or Not to Junk?

I love my car. 1990 Honda Accord. About 150,000 miles. That perfect boxy late 80's/early 90's style that I want in a car. Nice retro golden color you don't find so much anymore. The only way I could like this car more would be if it had hand-rolled windows instead of the automatic kind.

A couple months ago my boyfriend was driving said beauty when he got rear-ended. I was driving without insurance and nobody was hurt and the other dudes car was fine...so no police were called. Which sucks because even though that guys was completely at fault, the bill is on me. That is what I get for driving dirty, I suppose.

So the car has two brand new, used tires. A year ago its timing belt broke and that was replaced along with the water pump and other thingies around it. My folks bought me a new muffler about 2 years ago.

The car still runs! But the bumper got squished up so that it nearly touches the ground on the side of the gas tank. I need to fix the taillights on that side and I am worried about whether or not things I can't see are damaged, like gas tanks or rear wheel things or brake things...it will cost a bit, I am sure to fix. And I don't have much monies. That is why I was driving dirty.

I could probably afford about 500 dollars of fixin'...the scrap yard says for them to come and tow it away they would cut me a check for 250...its more if I drive it there and put it on the scale.

Some dude offered a couple hundred. I think a car that runs with come new stuff but some damage is at least 500...am I wrong? I might be wrong.

I'm not sure what kind of advice I am looking for. I am sad about my car.

Attached Thumbnails To Junk or Not to Junk?-dsc01171.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Take it to a body shop to find out what needs replaced and get an estimate for the work. You can also ask them about using parts from a junkyard, since you will be paying out of pocket.

Depending on the cost, you will have to make a judgement call on what to do next.

The trunk lid (if damaged), tail light, and the bumper can be found at a junkyard. The expensive part will be the smashed up metal panel where you fill up with gas. That panel is welded in place.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

There is no way you are getting that fixed at a body shop for $500. A job like that is probably more in the $1500-2000 range.

I'd say its probably time to scrap it. you might be able to ban git back into place so you can drive it, but the trunk will never be able to close and be water tight. The biggest concern legality wise is getting the tail light working.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 PM

Oh man I love my 1990 accord EX this break my Heart

Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I was going to respond until I saw the date on the OP.

Cute story though.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 PM

"That is why I was driving dirty."

I'm sorry but that's hilarious.... Remind me of that hip hop song "riding..."

Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by accordhybridowner
"That is why I was driving dirty."

I'm sorry but that's hilarious.... Remind me of that hip hop song "riding..."
Which "Weird Al" Yankovic covered and made into the song "White 'n Nerdy"