General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought 2001 Accord EX v6

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Default Just bought 2001 Accord EX v6

Just bought 2001 Accord EX v6 today. The owner took good care of it as evidenced with great documentation. I could not find anything wrong with the car (except for some wear and tear on the roof (about 10" in diameter). Would someone mind making recommendations for it? I am considering doing a transmission fluid change (it is time for this), oil change, new tires install. Is there anything else that I should do to it as a precaution since I just got it? thanks much!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 PM

How many miles are on it ? And did they ever replacing timing belt and water pump ?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 PM

i have a opposite opinion on "10 min oil shops"

jiffy lube, kwik kar, etc.. they don't go buy tq specifications at all. they use low quality oil filters and over charge for their oil.

ive had my oil overfilled on several occasions.

i only trust my own work

you check all your fluids like your supposed to there is no reason to have a "professional" check it. Thats coming from a future dealer tech(currently attending UTI)

if your not confident in your tech skills then by all means have a professional do it.

but go somewhere "professional" like firestone or pepboys where they warranty their labor and workmanship

Old 07-06-2011, 04:42 PM

Personal experience on 10 Minute Quickie service shops is that they don't always use correct gaskets on trannie pans. Lost a GM 440 to one of those from a "Jiffy Lube".

On topic, if not verifiably documented to have been done very recently, changing all the oils (engine, transmission, power steering), fluids (engine coolant, check A/C refrigerant), filters (oil, air, and cabin), and checking the status of the brakes is mandatory if you want a long and fruitful used car ownership experience. This is true for any make or model of vehicle.

In your specific case, the first reply mentioned the timing belt & water pump. If the vehicle has 100k miles or more, and they haven't been replaced, replace them.

Tune-ups and such are indicated by driveablity issues and CEL's, so you should know when they need to be done.

Follow these general guidelines for happy mortoring for years to come.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 PM

im with everyone else on this one. the quicky shops never pay off probably because they are a "10 min shop" and the faster they get done the faster they can get a new customer in. I couldnt begin to count the times ive had oil plugs striped out and cheap FRAM oil filters used. Just check your fluids and replace accordingly and if your uncomfortable then refer to your owners manual