New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Just bought a 90 Accord w/ 2.2 ltr

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Default Just bought a 90 Accord w/ 2.2 ltr

Hey everyone,
I just bought a new 05 Accord Hybrid and love that thing even though the MPG isn't as good as anticipated. I began putting too many miles on it so I went out a bought a 90 Accord w/ 2.2 ltr for $600. Although there are some cosmetitics I know I must focus on, I was also looking for some clues as to some of the things I need to do to make sure that it stays dependable. I am also looking for some cheap performance ideas also, even-though my budget is very slim I would like to hear what you guys have to say.
So heres the deal I bought the car with about 166,000 miles on it and I need to know what I should do to maintaine the drivability factor of the car. I am already anticipating that I am going to change the timing belt, I just can't decide whether to do it know or just wait until it goes. Also I've been told that if I'm going to go into all that I might as well get the head resurfaced and all that while I'm in there, but that gets a little deep in the pockets. Could you guys please throw some suggestinons my way and let me know what you think!

Thank you,

new_oldHondaOwner

Old 03-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Default RE: Just bought a 90 Accord w/ 2.2 ltr

Don't wait until it goes out... I'm not 100% sure on your particular year but on most honda's if your timing belt goes there is a good chance it will take out your engine... replace it. As far as the head resurficing goes if it ain't broke don't fix it... doesn't burn oil or anything I would probably leave it alone. The only thing I might suggest is if you're going to remove all the belts and change it you may as well do the other belts too... a good place to start for mods cheap is a short ram intake... just get a cheaper one off e-bay... I'm looking at a bomz one for about $40.00 shipped... Welcome to the forum!

Old 03-17-2006, 09:20 PM

Welcome to the forums! Yeah, if that belt breaks, say goodbye to your pistons and valves (at least some of them). Don't wait till it breaks, and if you're changing it out, you may as well do the water pump and crank seal while you're in there. Also do the drive belts too.

Performance options are endless, even on a budget. You can get some decent improvements with a cold air intake setup and some headers and an exhaust. You can improve the throttle response with some ignition upgrades too. You can redo your suspension to improve looks and handling. And if you're really serious about some pop, you can go turbo. I would suggest if you want to go turbo, piece together a kit little by little. You'll save THOUSANDS as opposed to buying a kit, and you'll learn a thing or too in the process. Also, if you buy piece by piece, you can spend a little bit of money on things over time without killing your bank account. You can read some of the turbo help post in the turbo and nitrous section to get an idea of what you'd be looking at. There are plenty of places to find parts too, but ebay seems to have just about everything for a good price (if you know what you're looking for).

Old 03-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

whatever it is.....you can get it on ebay..damn straight. yea if your just going to let the timing belt go out.....then just call the junkyard when it does cause your motor is toast. you 100 percent have a non freewheeling type interference motor. and that means when your timing belt goes, your motor is f....ed

Old 03-26-2006, 01:56 AM

that about the timing belt is mostly true but it can go without screwing everything up because mine did fortunatly i was only going about 25 in my neighborhood. if i would have been going faster it would have messed up the engine.