General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a 2004 Honda Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Default Just bought a 2004 Honda Accord LX

Hi everyone,

i'm new to this forum and i'm a new owner of a used 2004 Honda Accord LX, i just bought the car and i would like to get some informations like when should i change stuff like timing belt,water pump,..., sorry if my question sounds stupid this is my first car. and btw it has 130.000km

Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

If you didn't get the owners manual. You can reg with Honda and download one -

www dot ahm-ownerlink dot com

The '04 4 cyl has a timing chain.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you DIY, you may want to investigate a shop manual. Helms makes paper copy for about $50. Emanuals are available on ebay. A good seller I've used is automanualsource for about $22.

If you don't know history, suggest draining/replacing the ATF (assuming its an auto). This is cheap insurance for getting maximum service life from your auto trans.

good luck

Old 10-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Mrais
Hi ... this is my first car. and btw it has 130.000km
Welcome.
NICE FIRST CAR!

Follow recommended service intervals on fluids, except I'd change engine oil 2x as often as manual recommends (get v. good results).
Check tire pressures occasionally, especially spring and fall when temps change.

Some Honda dealers have a specially priced 'new car inspection service'.
They'll likely give you a laundry list of suggested repairs, maintenance items mostly. So thank them and
take it home and then post up list here for advice as to which really needs attention.
Think my local dealer charged $35 for this, which I found well worth it when I bought my '92 last winter.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:55 PM

Hi and welcome. I have a 2004 that I have had for just over 2 months but have always owned Hondas. Not sure what, specifically, you need but feel free to ask away. Like somebody else stated, your 4 cylinder has a timing chain and not a belt which means you probably won't have to change it (my 6 cylinder has a belt so that stinks for me...lol). Obviously, you need to change the oil regularly. I change mine every 3,000 miles to be safe although I have heard you can go as high as 5,000 miles between changing (just thought I'd throw that out there since you said it is your very first car).

Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 PM

First, congratulations on your first car. I have a seventh gen Accord as well, and while it's not my first car, it is my favorite.

Everyone else's advice is sound. The only thing I would add is this (to follow on with UhOh's advice): have an inspection done. At the very least, if it were me, I would want to know about anything safety-related with a new car- ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.

Assuming it checks out, follow the maintenance schedule and the car will take care of you. Also, take care of little problems before they become big problems.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 10-28-2012, 05:41 AM

Thanks all for your answers, i m really excited about this car, actually i went to check a Jetta but i got lost :P and i found by chance this dealer and he showed me this Honda, it's a Manual BTW. It has 4 season tires but i'm wondering if it's better to buy winter tires (i live in Toronto). Thanks

Old 10-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Mrais
It has 4 season tires but i'm wondering if it's better to buy winter tires (i live in Toronto). Thanks
If Ontario permits studs, I'd look at studded winter tires all around - if you need to travel on a set schedule (like to work or college) .
... be better to ask some older driver where you live or work.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Snow tires? Toronto doesn't get snow like we do here in Buffalo 90 miles South, so you don't HAVE to get snow tires. I have a set that I bought used on rims for $125 last year, so I put them on just to keep the wear off the Summer treads.
So unless you can get a good deal on a set of rims, I wouldn't bother.
The snow I am more concerned with is when it's deeper than the opening on the bottom of the front bumper, which would act as a scoop.