General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 honda accord shuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Default 1992 honda accord shuts off while driving

Need help, I have a 92 honda accord with about 230k miles. Just recently it has been shutting off while im driving. Mostly when i stop and try to go in reverse, however when i try to turn it on again it starts right away. It doesnt shake or anything when it turns off, it just quietly dies but the radio and all dashboard lights remain on. What could it be?

P.s. fuel filter was replaced less than a year ago as well as spark plug cables.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Welcome to HAF! I moved your post to correct forum for problems.

From your description, suspect a fuel delivery issue; main fuel relay or fuel pump is intermittent. Does it every fail to start?

Start checking for main fuel relay (MFR) clicks under the dash and fuel pump in tank each time you turn keyswitch to On. If no-start and no MFR or fuel pump sound, you've confirmed fuel delivery. Most likely is MFR since fuel pumps rarely fail (not never but rarely).

An intermittent ignition coil or ignitor might cause your symptoms, however you should see RPM's fluctuate wildly if spark is missing.

good luck

Old 10-11-2012, 03:30 PM

Texashonda: thanks for the reply, no it has never failed to start. It turns on with the first crank all the time. I will do the diagnoses u recomennded and post my results

Old 10-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Just to cover all possibilities, see if you can get it to stall by wiggling the key.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:12 PM

Alrite guys, i can hear the pump when i turn key..i did a few times and it always makes noise which means it seems to be working properly. Car still turns on at first crank however there were 2 times when it struggled a little but not much, id say about 4 seconds. I also heard clicks under dash when i turn key so that should eliminate that theory. It still turns off every now and then with radio and warning lights remaining on. I also tried wiggling key while driving with no success, car was fine. Any other suggestions? Im starting to think that maybe its the fuel injectors, any way to test that?

Old 10-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

See this link for some possible culprits:

http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignition.html

Old 10-15-2012, 07:44 PM

Thanks redbull-1, guys after doing some more research on the internet i came across a possibility that it could be a bad spark plug not giving spark so i took them out one by one and they all had spark and are working fine except 3 of the spark plug holes had oil in them! Obviously its a gasket problem but any possibility this could also be causing the other problems?

Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

It can cause the other problems.

You likely need to replace the valve cover seals. If you buy a valve cover gasket kit, it will come with the valve cover gasket and the upper and lower seals. The lower seals are tougher to replace, so you may want to do the upper seals and the VC gasket to see if this fixes the problem.

If you want to replace all of the seals, there is a good video on YouTube. Just search ericthecarguy oil spark plug to see how to do this.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:09 PM

Hey guys, Sorry I havent gotten back to this. Its been really hectic at work so I havent had a chance to mess with my car at all. As soon as I get a chance Ill change those seals and gaskets and get back with results. Thanks again