Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

99 honda accord shuts off while I am driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Mabworks
Unregistered
Default 99 honda accord shuts off while I am driving

My 99 honda accord shuts off while I am driving. It shuts off at any speed whether it am flying or driving slow and when it shuts off I lose power steering very quickly. None of the electrical components shut off (radio, lights, A/C) when it goes off though. I am not sure where I should start as far as fixing the problem so are there any suggestions?

Old 12-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Administrator
Exclamation Could Be

This: Insufficent fuel reaching the injectors or a large vacume leak between the intake manifold and throttle body...

Happy New Year

Attached Thumbnails 99 honda accord shuts off while I am driving-img_xmastree.jpg  
Old 01-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Default 99 honda accord shuts off while I am driving

Hi Mabworks,

I had exact same problem with my 99 Accord LX, and I went to several mechanics + the dealer but no one had a solution, since it is hard to reproduce, as the car always died unexpectedly on highway and not when I wanted it to.
Finally it was resolved after lot of hit and trials.

In my case the car always stopped while driving when it got hot and it restarted right back after few minutes (5 to 30 mins depending on outside temperature).

Replace your "main relay" (that's the common name) Honda Part # 39400-S84-003.

It solved the problem for me right away.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default maybe ignition switch

I had a problem with my 1998 Accord LX 4 cyl with 82k miles where the engine would suddenly "turn off." There was also an intermittent problem starting the engine: occasionally, it would crank, but not start. I took it to Honda dealer who identified the problem as defective ignition switch & he replaced that & that took care of it. He also said the '98 Accords had a recall for ignition switches.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

When you start the car, check this:
- Turn off all the noisemakers like radio, ventilation, etc.
- Turn the key to ON but don't immediately turn to START
- Listen for the fuel pump to run for 2 seconds then quit

When the main relay is at fault, you can hear that the fuel pump does NOT run & then the car doesn't start. Sometimes it runs (& the car starts) and sometimes it doesn't.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Default honda shutting off problems

hi im new here but ill tell you wat i know and have been throuh my hondas are older but all have basic works i agree with the main relay mine both 91 and have replaced in both cars also distributer problems did the same thing and then finally wouldnt start also i just put a fuel pump in the 5 speed it confused me because it was pushing fuel the problem was not enough fuel so check the main relay first is most likely you problem them go with distrib. then check feulpump hope helpful

Old 01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i've hear of the main relay issue in many 6th gen, specially on 98-99...

it's also worth checking the distributor and fuel pump.

have you had the check engine light on? if yes, then check for codes...

Old 05-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Unhappy please help me

i have a 99 honda accord v6, i can crank the car and it runs fine for about 15 mins or so then goes died then will not crank for 20mins or so, i have put a new main relay switch and it still does it, also has new spark plugs and plug wires, what is WRONG with my car.. PLEASE HELP me thanks

Old 05-28-2011, 07:55 AM

I too have been having this same problem, with my 1999 Accord (with F23a1, 4cyl, auto transmission). The garage where I have my car fixed, who I do trust implicitly, was unable to ascertain the root problem.
My check engine light was on, and I got 3 codes out of it. P0401, P0420, and a P1257. Also, my car's alternator and battery failed testing at autozone.
I understand there is an ignition recall on 1999 Honda Accords, but I've decided to get my alternator rebuilt (we have a great shop in Toledo, OH) that rebuilds alternators for about $75. I also intend to check out this "main relay", but I wish I knew how to judge how it might be faulty. I got 177k miles on my car, but when it runs its smooth and effecient, I'd love to get it running again. Hopefully we can all figure this out! ToNy

Old 05-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Softball-When it will not start (I'm assuming the starter is spinning the motor over), check for spark at the plugs. Sounds like you might have a coil or ignitor/ICM issue...gets hot, car stops, cools off and the car runs again

esdiezy- the recall should be free...the first time. I'd want to rule that out. What exactly is your car doing.....dies and restarts right away or once it dies it has to cool off?

Quick Reply: 99 honda accord shuts off while I am driving