Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

99 honda accord shuts off while I am driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Talking

poorman- the timing of when it happens seems to vary. Sometimes its after a long drive ( i drive 15-20 miles home from work everyday, mostly on the E-way), and other times, right after I start going, like after work where its sitting in the baking sun for hours.
So does the restart timing. When it first happened the restart was almost immediate, within 30 seconds. The last several times have been more like 5-10 minutes.
The car's alternator was bad, so i figured no matter what the problem was, that the alternator would be a problem none the less, even though it doesnt seem to be the root cause of my mishaps. Ended up needing a brand new one, the old one's rectifier was completely shot, scored one for $120 and putting it in tomorrow morning, before I call the local Honda dealership to ascertain (verify) it won't cost me anything for them to replace any recalls on my vehicle.
And finally, yet most importantly, thank you for taking the time to share your wealth of knowledge and your time, both are extremely appreciated

Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 AM

ive got a 90 honda accord lx, same issue, i found out these problems are caused by the alternator, look into replacing it, im doin the same in the morning, good luck

Old 06-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

my issue much the same. in the last 4 months the car has stalled 5 times now, the first few times maybe once a month, now twice or three times in one month. All times it has been between the hours of 4:30 and 6:00 at night. three occasions on the highway at a speed of 110km, two other times going 60km off the highway. I tested the ignition switch with multimeter it is fine. I will note when I add fuel to the car, and the gas is low, and I apply the gas the car acts like it is full and causes the gas pump nozzle to shut off, so I have to back off to allow it to take more fuel. the only other issue with car I could point out is the DRL icon is on, the only way to get rid of it, is by turning the lights on. just adding any issue in case it is related. please help very scary having car stall on highway.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 AM

ignition switch change it love it.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

why would I change it if I tested it, and seems fine?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok my bad, i tested the terminal incorrect, i only tested terminal 1 and 4, did not check the others anyways terminal 4 was fine. one terminal did not work at all black and white cable. sorry can't remember order of terminals, the other two only worked when the key was turned to on position. So i guess the ignition switch is no good. is it still possible to look into a recall? Also I did a code check by jumping terminals 8 and 13 on data link connector, I got 1 longflash, then 6 fast ones, and 9 long flashes? what does that mean?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 AM

Keegster- I was going to look up that flash code until I realized I don't know what year yer Accord is? I got a Haynes Manual which does tell what the flash codes mean, but I want to make sure that any info I give is valid for your vehicle, please update us on yer vehicle's year? If my book covers that model year I'll be glad to post what that flash code means. Best of Luck, ToNy

Old 06-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies

esdiezy28, I appreciate your efforts. My car is a 1999 Honda Accord.
I did call Honda today and there is 3 recalls on this car, So my ignition switch sounds like it will be changed for free, I think the code is another issue. One thing I can note is I think I may have resolved my issue with adding fuel and the car thinking it is full, when it is not. Below the gas cap there is a small vent hole, I had debris covering it, I will check this weekend to see if that issue goes away.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

esdiezy28, what happened just wondering what you came up with for the codes?

Old 06-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by esdiezy28
poorman- the timing of when it happens seems to vary. Sometimes its after a long drive ( i drive 15-20 miles home from work everyday, mostly on the E-way), and other times, right after I start going, like after work where its sitting in the baking sun for hours.
So does the restart timing. When it first happened the restart was almost immediate, within 30 seconds. The last several times have been more like 5-10 minutes.
The car's alternator was bad, so i figured no matter what the problem was, that the alternator would be a problem none the less, even though it doesnt seem to be the root cause of my mishaps. Ended up needing a brand new one, the old one's rectifier was completely shot, scored one for $120 and putting it in tomorrow morning, before I call the local Honda dealership to ascertain (verify) it won't cost me anything for them to replace any recalls on my vehicle.
And finally, yet most importantly, thank you for taking the time to share your wealth of knowledge and your time, both are extremely appreciated
First, sorry for the delay, I don't get into the section of the site that much......So I'm not sure where you are at, did the dealer replace the switch under the recall. With your last description, sounding like this is more in the coil or ICM, they get hot and start to give up...once they cool off, they will work again.....happen to have an old spark plug,,,,next time it does this, pull a plug wire and try to start it, is there a good blue spark? I think there are some places that can actually test the ICM for you.

Quick Reply: 99 honda accord shuts off while I am driving