General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 accord shuts off while driving

Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Default 1998 accord shuts off while driving

hey guys I am semi new to this place. I have a couple of issues with my car that aren't really a big deal yet but i think they can become expensive and i don't want to wait for huge repair costs.

Well first of all my car is automatic 3.0 vtec coupe. When i shift to drive sometimes the drive light on my gauge doesn't light up and thats the only gear where the light doesn't turn on "the green outline that tells you what gear you are on". I figure its not a big deal maybe its a fuse? but im not really sure. Ive taken it for check up and stuff and the only thing they say is that i need new tires. My engine light is on but the mechanics say the code is too general they wanna charge me 90 bucks to figure it out. Another problem I am having is that my car turns off while im driving, I usually pull to the side, completely stop, shift it to park and then turn it on again and it starts again every time. And now the most recent thing is that a light on my guage that says maint required is lighted up so maybe a potential small problem is causing all these issues. The guy i bought the car from put a cold air intake in it, but it seem like it was really cheap, I don't think he even put the correct filter on it. could that be an issue too?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Stop by a parts store and have the code(s) read. Post the actual code on here. It starts with the letter P and has 4 numbers.

I don't like cold air intakes. They can allow water to get into the engine if you hit a big puddle. This is not causing your stalling problem. Just make sure that air has to go through the filter for now. You could pick up a used OEM intake parts for pretty cheap at a junkyard or get a better CAI.

When the car is running, can you make the car stall out by shaking the key?

Old 02-28-2011, 02:24 PM

ok sounds good il prolly get that code in the next few days. Ya i was told that about cold air intakes so i got a short ram instead however my mechanic did a really ****ty job don't think he used the correct filter. I havn't tried shaking the key but il try it, and you know what it might have something to do with the key because the green key light blinks when it happens.