General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

K & N Filter? Yes or No?

Old 05-21-2019, 09:50 AM
Default K & N Filter? Yes or No?

I have a 2007 Accord 2.4L. Would y'all suggest a K&N air filter or just stick with stock? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-21-2019, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Longdraw
I have a 2007 Accord 2.4L. Would y'all suggest a K&N air filter or just stick with stock? Thanks in advance!
Not only would I say "No", I would say "Hell no!" Why? K&N filters are absolute crap when it comes to filtering air; I'd almost rather run no air filter at all than run one of these things.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Not only would I say "No", I would say "Hell no!" Why? K&N filters are absolute crap when it comes to filtering air; I'd almost rather run no air filter at all than run one of these things.
Ok. I just wanted to check. I used one in my old 1999 EX but didn't care for it so I figure since the car is a little newer maybe it would be different. I do use one in my truck but it has lots of horses and it runs better with the K&N. Thanks for the input Shipo. Stock it is then.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
not only would i say "no", i would say "hell no!" why? K&n filters are absolute crap when it comes to filtering air; i'd almost rather run no air filter at all than run one of these things.
+1 ....

Old 05-27-2019, 09:49 AM

I've seen those responses before about the filter on other forums, and so I've been deterred permanently from using it. But why do y'all think the K&n air filter gets such high reviews? Just people not "knowing" how well it filters the air, but simply aroused by the supposed performance benefits and reusability?

Old 05-27-2019, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

I had used one for a long time on a 1989 Saab before seeing all those stories. Being a non-turbo, I thought I could get just a bit more power, but it really wasn't noticeable. So I consoled myself that I was saving because it's reusable.

Anyway, I wasn't in any kind of dusty area, so maybe I was just lucky. Had that filter for well over 100k miles on that car, and it was still on there and running well when we sold it with 220k miles. But the stories (especially the reasoning behind them) have convinced me not to use them.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Stick with stock you ain’t gonna gain anything from it just a lot dirtier filter a lot faster

Old 05-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by NMinop
I've seen those responses before about the filter on other forums, and so I've been deterred permanently from using it. But why do y'all think the K&n air filter gets such high reviews? Just people not "knowing" how well it filters the air, but simply aroused by the supposed performance benefits and reusability?
People imagine all sorts of performance benefits when the spend good money on crappy products. Their "Butt Dynos" get all excited by the extra noise and they make claims of dramatic performance gains.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Longdraw
Base your decision on your experience on your ‘99 vehicle. I used mine on my ‘02 civic and my 2011 Accord a few years after I stopped sending it to the dealership for routine maintenance. Both cars took in air much easier not to mention that sound it makes when pulling in air. You barely make any waste since you just wash and condition the filter every 50k miles. K&N has been in business for a minute as well so if they’re a scam, they’d probably be gone by now.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

If you go with a K&N filter, use the type that fits into the current air filter box. The exposed K&N cone filters run the risk of drawing in water if you hit a big puddle and risk damaging your engine.

There are some youtube videos showing a modest gain in torque and HP using a dyno, so the K&N does slightly improve your engine performance.

The flip side is the ability of the K&N filter to remove particulates from the air. I couldn't find information on the K&N filter performance as it traps contaminants. I also couldn't find information on the efficiency on the K&N filters to remove particulates of all sizes. I also didn't spend much time searching for this information either. You would need that information to determine if you want to make the switch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K & N Filter? Yes or No?